Verbum FBOM is Wonderful!

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4874
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2019 3:15 AM

MJ. Smith:

DIsciple II:
The link you quote from on methods looks interesting to and one worth converting into a personal book to have on hand.

It is available in Verbum/Logos but I deliberately linked to the online version so people would not have to purchase it to read it. https://verbum.com/product/163596/the-interpretation-of-the-bible-in-the-church 

Thanks was just coming back to the thread to get the link to create the PB.. I do actually have this one in my library so no need for me to even purchase it, let alone create a personal book.  It's now on my prioritized list to read.

Posts 877
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2019 5:08 AM

By

Mark Barnes:

MJ. Smith:
First, any publisher associated with a religious order AND with a school of thought formed by reception history and a teaching magisterium, would be highly unlikely to be the source of a commentary "impose(s) his own meaning on the text". Were I to make such a judgment about such a commentary, I would assume there was a stream of commentary tradition with which I was unfamiliar and set about finding and learning about the tradition.

I do know the stream of commentary tradition this volume comes from: as I said, in very broad terms it's coming from a postmodern deconstructionist tradition. That tradition is part of the reader-response tradition, where (in shorthand) the reader trumps the writer in determining meaning and value. That is why I said the volume imposes its own meaning on the text. I'm really not sure that can be disputed. Even the (positive) review you cite at one point criticises Jobling because he 'appeals to the “plain meaning” of a text', which the reviewer rightly says is 'not easily compatible with a deconstructive analysis'.

Whether a useful commentary ought to 'appeal to the "plain meaning" of a text', we could perhaps debate. (As my goal is to understand the human and divine authorial intent, the "plain meaning" matters enormously to me.) But I don't think we can debate whether Jobling's book does that or not. As the review says, his approach is simply not compatible with a concern for the text's "plain meaning".

Onto the broader question of what one should do with resources one doesn't agree with. As a minister, I prepare three sermons each week, and therefore am forced to take a functional approach to the study of Scripture. I don't have the luxury of it being a hobby I can take my time with. Each sermon is limited to 6-10 hours of preparation, of which only 1-3 hours can be spent in commentaries. That situation forces me to prioritise, and I will therefore ensure that I will do three things:

1. I will read commentaries that help me understand the text as it was written (because my job is to explain and apply that text).
  2. I will read commentaries that answer the questions I and my congregation are asking (because anything else is indulgent).
  3. I will read commentaries that are of the highest quality (because I need to maximise the value I get).

Therefore, when I am preparing a sermon I have in mind three or four 'must-read' commentaries, and up to ten others that I will consult for passages that I'm particularly struggling with. I will ensure that the 'must-read' commentaries have different approaches to the text (grammatical, devotional, historical, theological, etc.) and that the other six or seven will include those with a different viewpoint to my own (they may include liberal or Jewish views, for example). In that sense, my approach does not differ from your own.

I have not rejected Jobling on Samuel because he challenges my beliefs. I simply do not have the time (nor indeed the desire) to read a series of essays that set out to do something that I have no interest in doing and does not attempt to contribute to my purpose. There is nothing so inefficient as doing well something that need not be done at all. So, for me, Jobling on Samuel is put aside. Life is too short, and Sunday is too soon.

Mark

Thanks for your really useful insights into your commentary selection.

Posts 366
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2019 5:47 AM

Thanks for this discussion and sharing your insights.  THIS is what keeps me coming back to this forum.

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2019 6:35 AM

DIsciple II:

MJ. Smith:

DIsciple II:
The link you quote from on methods looks interesting to and one worth converting into a personal book to have on hand.

It is available in Verbum/Logos but I deliberately linked to the online version so people would not have to purchase it to read it. https://verbum.com/product/163596/the-interpretation-of-the-bible-in-the-church 

Thanks was just coming back to the thread to get the link to create the PB.. I do actually have this one in my library so no need for me to even purchase it, let alone create a personal book.  It's now on my prioritized list to read.

Nice little gem 💎 I have it in my Verbum library 👍😁👌

Posts 172
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2019 8:16 PM

MJ. Smith:

[Put in folk terms "don't judge an orange for not being an apple".

I'm going to have to remember that one...! Wink

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2019 4:00 AM

MJ. Smith:
Put in folk terms "don't judge an orange for not being an apple".

But it's still reasonable to say, "I don't like oranges", and give the reasons for that, which is all I did :-).

Posts 1004
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 4:09 PM

NB.Mick:

EastTN:
I ended up grabbing the other three, but not the 1st Samuel volume.

Same here.

And congrats to your 1000th post!

Thank you!  (I hadn't even noticed)

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS