Need some help with Talmud

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3163
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 2 2019 5:22 AM

Ok I have been struggling finding the references to the Talmud- not sure- I know- that I don't have a firm grip on these resources, for instance the reference says, "The Talmud (Temurah 28b)" when I look for this, it gives a whole lot of references, but cannot narrow it down to the actual reference.

I found this on line and this is what I expected in Logos: https://www.sefaria.org/Temurah.28b.1?lang=bi 

Posts 26117
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2019 6:23 PM

These may be of some help:

TIP of the day: Searching on Mishnah and Talmud

TIP of the day: Hear ye, Hear ye learn to use your Rabbinic resources

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3163
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2019 5:35 AM

MJ. Smith:

Thanks I'll look at these today- have a lot of references to link and view for context.

Posts 10
Joseph Lewin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 11:58 PM

References to the Babylonian Talmud are to Tractate / Folio / Side, so this is to the second side of the 28th folio page of tractate Temurah (from the fifth Order of the Mishnah: Kodshim).

There is no system for referring to subunits smaller than a page. Typically one narrows it down by a reference to the authority cited, e.g. Rava or Rabbi Yochanaan.

There are various well respected translations into English online. The best free resource is the near complete Koren / Steinsaltz translation, which is available for free at Sefaria (called William Davison in the free version without R Steinsaltz’s commentary). A link to the relevant page is here: https://www.sefaria.org/Temurah.28b. Bold words are translation whereas the rest is amplification taken from traditional sources. Others are the Soncino (antiquated) and the Artscroll / Schottenstein (you’ll need to pay).

Note that references to Mishnah or the Palestinian Talmud are in a different format. 

Posts 3163
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2019 7:46 AM

Joseph Lewin:

References to the Babylonian Talmud are to Tractate / Folio / Side, so this is to the second side of the 28th folio page of tractate Temurah (from the fifth Order of the Mishnah: Kodshim).

There is no system for referring to subunits smaller than a page. Typically one narrows it down by a reference to the authority cited, e.g. Rava or Rabbi Yochanaan.

There are various well respected translations into English online. The best free resource is the near complete Koren / Steinsaltz translation, which is available for free at Sefaria (called William Davison in the free version without R Steinsaltz’s commentary). A link to the relevant page is here: https://www.sefaria.org/Temurah.28b. Bold words are translation whereas the rest is amplification taken from traditional sources. Others are the Soncino (antiquated) and the Artscroll / Schottenstein (you’ll need to pay).

Note that references to Mishnah or the Palestinian Talmud are in a different format. 

Thanks for the help.

Posts 3163
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2019 7:51 AM

MJ. Smith:

I saved the two pages and will get to them when time allows- thanks for the info- hopefully I can master these resources a little better.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS