Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27546
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 12:12 PM

Denise:

JT (alabama24):

Denise:
I honestly can't recall anyone who buys something, and thinks it can't be re-sold.

When you purchase a physical product, yes. When you purchase an album on iTunes? A digital movie on Amazon? An eBook from Kobo? You can't re-sell any of those! 

No offense, JT, but I take my Bible-studying seriously (as you do). And, when I entered the Logosian food chain, it was ALL physical, and assumed to be give-to-fellow-believer.  Subsequently "pay 20 smackers". Subsequently, Byzantium (you can read-in the inference).

And I still buy CDs.. 33's. And love my hard-copy Aramaic Bible.

I dabbled in Logos way back when, but was not a serious user until L4. When I purchased, dvds were mailed to me and an unlock code was used... an unlock code which was good for a one time use. Did Logos come without an unlock key before that time?

I‘m not arguing that we shouldn’t be able to sell our licenses, but I am arguing that it is rare for companies to allow it. You can’t legally resell windows, for example. In genera, FL’s policy is very liberal and generous... especially when you consider that it works against their business model of free software. Sometimes people complain about FL acting more like a business (they are) than a ministry. In this regard, they are running much more like a ministry than a business!

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10114
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2019 1:26 PM

We're probably talking about a transition in time. At the time I began using Logos, my other software was completely resellable, and far more sophisticated than Logos. Then the industry started locking. I think prior to L4, I called Logos once and she gave me an unlock. I've installed the CDs on multiple PCs clean. Mine of course, but in theory, yours too.

I don't mind the locks, etc. But 1 book, 1 customer should be the rule. Uninstall the book, sell/give, re-install. Charge as you wish.  If students are the concern, add a minimum time period. But don't make money off folks sharing the good news, saying 'it's a business' or everyone does it.

Posts 351
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 8:48 AM

This seems to be a DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue. 
I have never liked DRMs, as they are pretty much bogus. However, in this situation, the actual "owner" of the work is due their money "A workman is worthy of their hire". Because of pirated software, and the ease of pirating software, even amongst otherwise decent and honest Christians, this entire thing is a problem. 
Now granted, I have never believed the lie "We are losing billions of dollars because of piracy". Truth of the matter is, people who used Napster and this whole start of DRM issue, never would have bought all the songs that were "stolen". Some, maybe. But, the fact is, nobody was going to buy the hundred thousand songs that they downloaded off napster. So, their premise was flawed. However, that does not mean that they shouldn't have come up with rules to protect their investments. 
And that brings us to your issue. While you can re-sell a hard copy from a hard copy library, you cannot easily re-sell digital copies. Let's forget about everything else, but what you want to do. Sell one part of the library. Your assumption that you could re-sell a hard copy is irrelevant, because it's not a hard copy. Let's look at it in a different light, and maybe it will make sense, 
Suppose you have 200,000 songs on a CD, MP3 player. You have an album you no longer want. You just cannot sell it. And sadly, selling the entire collection is very dicey too. And even if you were able to find someone who would buy it, it would be for pennies on the $100. And that is the problem you would be looking at. 
Now, on the other hand, Logos has made arrangements so we can re-sell the license; unlike the above scenario. So, we can get closer to the value (I would assume). But, that would be for the entire license, not just part of it.
Then, add to it, Dynamic Pricing, as others have stated. So, I won't rehash what others have said. 
I hope this scenario makes sense. 

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS