Unable to select words in Aland, Synopsis of the Four Gospels

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1033
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 6 2019 10:48 PM

I am comparing accounts of the same story in the various Gospels. I want to mark up the text in different colors to show the words that are similar between the different Gospels. I was actually preparing to teach my Gospels class how to do this with Logos.

I was shocked to discover that when I select a word or phrase and open the Context menu, the entire story is highlighted. There does not seem to be a Selection option on the menu.

This is a huge limitation for a book like this. The main advantage of a synopsis is that you can compare the same story in different accounts. It is common to mark up the same words in a print book with highlighter pens. I planned to do the same in Logos, but Logos does not seem to allow it. This is a huge bug or design flaw. Sad

Posts 2205
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2019 5:39 AM

I can duplicate the behavior. Have you tried the Parallel Gospel Reader in tools? It automatically highlights similar words. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but it may be a work around.

Posts 1033
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2019 3:55 PM

John Fidel:
I can duplicate the behavior. Have you tried the Parallel Gospel Reader in tools? It automatically highlights similar words. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but it may be a work around.

This is a lovely tool. I like the fact that it highlights corresponding words in the various gospels. But it does not distinguish if there is a different Greek word in the parallel Gospel.

On the plus side, the Parallel Gospel Reader.does allow selecting text, which the Aland Synopsis does not.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to highlight the selected text with the Parallel Gospel Reader tool, even though you can select it. So I still cannot achieve my objective of highlighting parallel portions in the Synoptic Gospels.

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2019 5:40 PM

Harry Hahne:
The main advantage of a synopsis is that you can compare the same story in different accounts. It is common to mark up the same words in a print book with highlighter pens. I planned to do the same in Logos, but Logos does not seem to allow it.

Most Harmonies like Aland's use dynamic text, where the text is inserted depending on your choice of bible. So highlighting cannot work, and you end up with a note by reference (the right-click Context menu gives you a reference, and not the Selection). So you can highlight in Gospel Parallels - NRSV, which has fixed text.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2019 5:56 PM

Harry Hahne:
On the plus side, the Parallel Gospel Reader.does allow selecting text, which the Aland Synopsis does not.

Both resources allow you to select text and you can attempt Highlighting (the tool), but the Context menu acts differently. Either way, they both have dynamic text and highlighting fails or is not allowed.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1033
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 12:06 PM

Dave Hooton:
Both resources allow you to select text and you can attempt Highlighting

I can select text in the Parallel Gospel Reader, but sadly highlighting does not work. This is necessary for proper study of the Synoptic Gospel parallels.

Aland lets you select text. But then when you call up the Context menu, the selection changes to the whole section. Highlighting is available, but there is not much point to highlighting the whole section.

Posts 1033
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 12:15 PM

Dave Hooton:
Most Harmonies like Aland's use dynamic text, where the text is inserted depending on your choice of bible.

Thanks for this bit of information.

If they can insert text dynamically, why not dynamically bring over the whole richness of the reverse interlinear Bibles and the Greek New Testaments?

At the very least, since you can select a word or phrase, which override the user's selection when the Context menu comes up? The original selection is available for copying, but not much else. This would require the note/highlight to tie in to be anchored to the offset in the passage a particular Bible or perhaps the underlying Greek word in a reverse interlinear. But that would not be different than notes and highlights in regular Bibles that allow you to highlight something in one Bible and it highlights in all Bibles.

Dave Hooton:
you can highlight in Gospel Parallels - NRSV, which has fixed text

This is good to know. Thanks.

Posts 25045
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 6:19 PM

Harry Hahne:
If they can insert text dynamically, why not dynamically bring over the whole richness of the reverse interlinear Bibles and the Greek New Testaments?

Dynamic bible text cannot be aligned to the resource, so any Interlinear data could not be aligned. This is normally done by Indexing, but Bible milestones can be aligned, which is why highlighting is possible by passage. But any parallel text (different passages) will also be highlighted; having the same alignment.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS