An G.K. Beale book against a G.K. Beale book

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 373
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 9 2019 4:46 AM

I've had the book Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament by Carson and Beale since it came out and have been using it as the first resource in any NT study since its release.  I've been thoroughly enjoying it and using it to get a baseline on studying any text and have found it remarkably invaluable.  

So, Beale also has published the Handbook on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament: Exegesis and Interpretation which was published in 2012, a few years later than the previous title.  

My question is what am I missing here.  The later book is on sale.  I'd like to pick it up, but I also don't want to waste money.  

Questions for my fellow Logos users:

1. Do you use either of these books?  Which one or both?
  2. Do you use them both? How do they compare?
  3. If you only have one of the books, tell me about it and how you use them.

Thanks

Wilson Hines

Posts 21847
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 4:51 AM

Hi Wilson

The discussion at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/119506.aspx might be helpful to you

Graham

Posts 373
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 4:54 AM

Thank you!

Wilson Hines

Posts 2195
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 5:05 AM

Hi Wilson,

I have both. The commentary is used extensively mostly as a link from the Passage Guide Commentary section on the pericope I am studying. I have a collection called "Exegesis and Hermeneutics" that is also in my Passage Guide that will search for reference to the pericope I am studying that directs me to the handbook for comparison and reference. See screenshots below showing both.

The Handbook:

The commentary:

The commentary is just that; a commentary on the pericope, while the handbook discusses features of the NT use of the OT which in this instances is under the subtitle

To Indicate Indirect Fulfillment of Old Testament Typological Prophecy

As you can see there are other references which have a similar type of NT use of the OT. As such the commentary goes into the NT use, OT use and discusses the context of each etc. The handbook discusses the type of use and compares it to other references using a similar type.

Probably a simplistic comparison, but that is how I use it. If you were really interested in the subject, you would read the handbooks start to finish.

Hope this helps.

Posts 373
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2019 5:11 AM

Very good information, John.  I appreciate the time and effort.  I think I'm going to buy it, try to get it configured into my study process. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 638
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Today 3:47 PM

I have both.  The commentary is definitely something I refer to often.  The handbook is more of a guide to the methodology used to make the commentary.  Nice to have if you want to go deeper into understanding how the NT writers used the OT.  But the commentary is more usable.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Today 5:35 PM

John Fidel:
I have a collection called "Exegesis and Hermeneutics"

John,

Very useful! What collection rule do you use?

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2195
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Today 5:39 PM

Beloved,

I tag all my books and then use the tag to set up collections, so there is no rule. It took a while to do years ago, but it has proven to be very helpful in managing my library. There are a few suggestions in the Faithlife.com groups that may be a good starting point.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Today 5:44 PM

John Fidel:

Beloved,

I tag all my books and then use the tag to set up collections, so there is no rule. It took a while to do years ago, but it has proven to be very helpful in managing my library. There are a few suggestions in the Faithlife.com groups that may be a good starting point.

Like lightning! I was afraid you were going to have that answer. Thanks

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS