Shift-Enter no longer distinct from Enter

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 17 2010 6:55 AM

Back when I first installed Logos 4, when writing in Notes, <Enter> would produce a new paragraph with a space above. <Shift-Enter> would produce a new line with no space above.

Somewhere along the way that changed. Now both have no space above. However, when I copy the text and paste it into Word with "View - Options - show formatting marks" turned on, I can see that they are still the new paragraph and new line characters.

QUESTION: How can I get back that original formatting? (without resetting all the default program settings)

Posts 26516
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 4:09 PM

I cannot see any Option for that in Help! You are saying, though, that Word still shows the difference in physical formatting whereas Notes does not?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19184
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 4:21 PM

The default in Word is (or used to be) not to show any formatting difference between the two either. It requires a change in the "space after" or "space before" property in Word before there is any spacing between paragraphs. I think current versions of Word now do include a space after paragraphs in the default Normal style but I can't remember because I've changed mine so much since I got it. Logos doesn't give many formatting options in the Notes editor, and doesn't include an option to change the paragraph spacing. Perhaps some users requested that the default of space between paragraphs be removed since there is no way to edit it in the UI. Or maybe that decision was made internally. In any event, you can see in Logos that they do tread the Shift-Enter line break differently from the Enter paragraph break. If you apply one of the paragraph formats such as Centered to a paragraph that has a Shift-Enter in it, it will apply the formatting to all lines separated by Shift-Enter, as well it should.

The only thing I could suggest is press Enter twice if you want space between paragraphs, the old way people did in Word when they didn't know about formatting space between paragraphs.

And you could always appeal to Logos to add more paragraph formatting options in the Notes editor, particularly the paragraph spacing options. Or put it back to the way it was before with a default space between paragraphs even if it's not editable.

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 9:37 AM

Word will show whatever physical formatting you tell it to. For instance, I could have configured Word so that <Shift-Enter> would produce a hanging indent 4" from the margin. But that's not the point.

I make mention of Word only to verify that <Enter> and <Shift-Enter> do indeed produce distinctly different characters in Logos (unlike, say, in Notepad, where they come out the same).

Posts 19184
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:26 PM

BruceFraser:

Word will show whatever physical formatting you tell it to. For instance, I could have configured Word so that <Shift-Enter> would produce a hanging indent 4" from the margin. But that's not the point.

I make mention of Word only to verify that <Enter> and <Shift-Enter> do indeed produce distinctly different characters in Logos (unlike, say, in Notepad, where they come out the same).

Yes, and my only point in mentioning Word so much (apart from the fact that I was on the development team that created it so I know it pretty well) was that Logos does not have the formatting capabilities that Word has. I understand and believe you that <Enter> and <Shift-Enter> do produce different characters in Logos. But it appears Logos used to hardwire in some formatting (space between paragraphs) to differentiate the two, and they have removed that differentiation. Whether intentionally or not is uncertain. It could/should be reported as a possible bug. So to answer your original question, no, there is no way for you to get back the formatting you were used to before this change. Even changing your program settings back to the default won't make any difference. There is nothing in the program settings that has anything to do with this. For now your only option is to hit <Enter> twice to add space between paragraphs.

Note to Melissa: This could be a bug. Please confirm and report it to development if so, or explain to us the reason for the change if not. Thanks!

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 12:48 PM

Rosie,

That's a very helpful answer, exactly to the question I was making. Not the answer I hoped for, but nevertheless on target.

I will also bring this to the attention of the development team.

Thanks very much!

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 1:04 PM

Rosie Perera:
Note to Melissa: This could be a bug. Please confirm and report it to development if so, or explain to us the reason for the change if not. Thanks!

Enter was changed to drop down one line at a time. For double space, press spacebar after first line. You can see Shift+Enter working in the rich text editor when you use numbered lists. It allows you to add a space between consecutive numbers.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS