SUGGESTION: Reference copy in Context Menu

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26800
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 26 2019 5:25 PM

I am currently dealing with excerpts that have multiple designations e.g.

• <DSC 41> (Denzinger)
  • is also known as <DS 102> Denzinger-Schönmetzer 
  • is also known as <DH 102> Denzinger-Hünermann
  • which contains some or all of <ApostolicFathers = I Clement 1>
  • which contains some or all of <ApostolicFathers = I Clement 7>
  • which contains some or all of <ApostolicFathers = I Clement 57-59>
  • which contains some or all of <ApostolicFathers = I Clement 63>
  • which is included at least in part in <Jurgens 10a>
  • which is included at least in part in <Jurgens 12>
  • which is included at least in part in <Jurgens 27-29>

As a result, when I have selected "reference" in the Context Menu, I do NOT want to start a new search which the Context Menu does. I want to "copy" the reference and add it to an existing Search. Therefore, I request that a Copy option be added to the Context Menu when reference is selected.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8057
LogosEmployee

In Bibles, selecting the reference then choosing "Copy" from the context menu copies the text of the verse (not Logos search syntax for <Bible = Book 1:2>).

Although this isn't present on all references in the system, we may extend more versified data types with that feature in the future, and would call it "Copy" for consistency.

Your proposed use case seems decidedly more esoteric. For now, starting multiple searches and combining them is our suggested workaround.

Posts 26800
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2019 8:48 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
Your proposed use case seems decidedly more esoteric.

Granted. But here's hoping that with Biblicum it becomes considerably less esoteric Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 28 2019 1:41 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
Your proposed use case seems decidedly more esoteric. For now, starting multiple searches and combining them is our suggested workaround.

Copying references to paste into a more complex search is frequently necessary. The problem is that it's impossible to know for yourself what the search syntax would be without actually executing the search. It can't be determined from anywhere. That poor UX design and is the first problem that needs to be solved.

Posts 26800
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 28 2019 1:43 AM

Mark Barnes:
The problem is that it's impossible to know for yourself what the search syntax would be without actually executing the search.

Agreed.

Posts 8057
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:
That poor UX design and is the first problem that needs to be solved.

Agreed, and a good reason why we'd be more likely to solve this with improved search syntax or a query builder, not by adding a "Copy" command to the context menu.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS