SUGGESTION: - Downloadable Videos (User created on Wiki & Logos 3)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 17 2010 11:11 AM

I would like to suggest making all of the videos (the user created ones and the Logos 3 Tutorial videos) on the Logos website and the Wiki - available for download.

Currently only the official Logos 4 videos are available for download.

It would be nice to be able to have them locally so that I don't have to access them online.

Just a thought. 

Posts 19198
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 11:29 AM

Stein, the user created ones are all stored in different formats on different hosts, and there might not be an easy way to make them downloadable. It depends on the hosting service that the users chose to put their videos up on. I don't think most of them provide a way to make videos downloadable. Screencast and YouTube being the two most common for sure don't. Also, Logos doesn't own the user-created content so they cannot make them available for download. It would be up to each user-author to do that. I know that some of us (Mark Barnes, for one) have not kept the original source files for our videos -- they are just up on the host. They take up lots of hard disk space. Like hundreds of megabytes. So it might be hit or miss asking each of us to make them available in a downloadable way if they aren't already. And we've all got limited time for this too. My suggestion is that you investigate some video stream capturing software and capture the ones you want to keep a local copy of yourself. Here's one that I've used which seems to work pretty well: http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/ -- the usual warnings apply: respect copyrights, and don't use it to do anything illegal! I certainly don't mind if you make a local copy of my one tutorial video, but you'd probably better ask each of the other authors individually if they mind.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 11:57 AM

Hi Rosie,

Okay, I see now.  I hadn't even thought about the fact that those are just links to videos all over the place (on the internet) and actually owned by their creators.  And, while the user created videos would be nice to have, in the end, they're not really the most important ones to me right now - since they're about Logos 4 and will probably be available online for quite a while yet. 

What I'd like to have most are the Logos 3 Tutorial Videos available on the Logos 3 Training page.  None of those are downloadable, and I'm not sure how long they will be available to view online.  I find myself going back there from time to time to refresh my memory on different features of L3, and I'd hate to lose the ability to view them whenever I need to.

That being said, I already have the Morris Proctor CD's with Logos 3 tutorials on them, and I also have all the manuals - so I have a lot of tutorial material.  Would just be nice to have those as well.  Makes it easy to go back and review.

Still learning Logos (3 & 4) ya know! 

Posts 19198
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 17 2010 12:52 PM

Stein Dahl:

What I'd like to have most are the Logos 3 Tutorial Videos available on the Logos 3 Training page.  None of those are downloadable, and I'm not sure how long they will be available to view online.  I find myself going back there from time to time to refresh my memory on different features of L3, and I'd hate to lose the ability to view them whenever I need to.

I suspect they will be available for a long time to come, probably long after you've finally stopped needing to use Logos 3 for anything. There are still Logos 2 videos out there somewhere.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS