Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3680
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 4 2019 11:12 AM

Imo, this misrepresents the work and its value. The NT use of the OT as it is explored in this useful volume cannot be reduced to "the OT is about Jesus". 

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2019 11:31 AM

I agree with your point. But Jesus did sort of hint he was the Chosen One. I forget if that was OT, 2nd Temple or Enoch.

Posts 5025
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2019 5:49 PM

And you expect better of FL marketing Francis ? Surprise 

Agree it is a little to cute. I can see people giving hi-fives when the idea was floated.  Roll Eyes

Francis:

Imo, this misrepresents the work and its value. The NT use of the OT as it is explored in this useful volume cannot be reduced to "the OT is about Jesus". 

Posts 26
Michael Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2019 7:01 PM

Marketers being reductionistic with their slogans? Who would have thought !!!

However, I can't see that line being "the major hook" that gets people to buy this tome. It is a deeply academic book that you rightly point out is far, far broader than "the hook" conveyed in the slogan. It is not a book I would recommend if you are looking for some light bedtime reading. I doubt also that most people would just buy simply because it popped up in an ad feed.

I suspect there may be some people who click buy to this kind of ad simply because of the authors listed. Even if that was the case, they would be getting for themselves something of solid worth content-wise that a casual glance will show clearly goes beyond the slogan.

Personally, The inconsistent Capitalisation In the Slogan headline Probably Bothers Me more.

Edited for clarity

Posts 6412
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2019 7:01 AM

It would have been more accurate to say, “Jesus and His followers knew the Old Testament...Do you?”

DAL

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2019 9:51 PM

DAL:
It would have been more accurate to say, “Jesus and His followers knew the Old Testament

I rather doubt it as there was nothing known as the "Old Testament" and the scriptures - Torah was set but History and Writings had no set canon. We know to little of their background to make more than an educated guess as to what they learned in yeshiva and synagogue ... we have some evidence of what they did know but that is rather sparse.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3680
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2019 7:40 AM

MJ. Smith:
I rather doubt it as there was nothing known as the "Old Testament" and the scriptures

At the risk of digressing in theological discussion... there is such a concept as the graphai in the NT which intersects substantially with what we call the OT or Hebrew Scriptures. I agree that the canon was probably not fixed yet although it seems that Torah, psalms, and "prophets" (whether that terms was meant as broad as in the Jewish canon or narrow as in the Christian canon) were included. In any case, point taken, though on this one, can't see how one could communicate the reference to these writings simply and as conveniently as the conventional "Old Testament" in a marketing slogan. 

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2019 7:57 AM

MJ. Smith:

... we have some evidence of what they did know but that is rather sparse.

Definitely true. Jesus' use (Deu, Isa, Psa largely) matches the DSS pattern. But the DSS'ers (Qumran?, Essenes?, etc) were quite happy to completely over-write the Torah, and everyone headed off for a tour of Heaven (Assumptions, Enoch, etc). 

When the Jesus followers arrived, it's also not clear what they recognized as valid prophesy. Paul avoided Joel like the plague, while Peter appeared to embrace it. The synoptics really liked the late prophets. And the Apocalypse writer was a big Ezekiel guy.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS