Sidebar Search Feature Enhancement Suggestion

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
NATHAN | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 17 2019 6:35 PM

I like that Sidebar has been added to Search feature.

I confess that I normally don't use Logos for searching Scripture.  When I have a phrase of Scripture in my head and I know it occurs in either ESV or NASB and I know it's somewhere in Jeremiah or somewhere in Deuteronomy I will actually use Bible Gateway because I can enter my search, click on Deuteronomy and have the search results in 2 seconds rather than going through the hassle of selecting "Torah" or "Major Prophets" and scrolling.  It would be nice to be able to leave Search on your Bible of choice, for all passages, type your search and just click on the book of the Bible you know that verse is found in via sidebar.  

Lets say you're searching for something and you know it's in the Gospels somewhere but you don't know where but sidebar, like Bible Gateway, says you have 4 hits in Matthew, 4 hits in Mark, 2 hits in Luke, and 0 hits in John... that is a useful search feature.

Logos is so robust and we love you guys.  But sometimes less is more and cutting down on overwhelming amounts of information can reduce signal to noise ratio.  It's why I'm still very upset about Notes.  It's why I use Bible Gateway instead of Logos for 70% of my searches while on desktop.  Phone is a different story.

Anyways, thank you for all that you guys do.  

Posts 27927
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 17 2019 7:46 PM

Have you tried the Bible Browser? It is built on facet selection like Bible Gateway.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15
NATHAN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 17 2019 7:57 PM

Hello, thank you for your response.  It would great if it actually did what I'm talking about.  Looks good.  Returns zero searches.  For example, the verse I have in my head lets say is John 16:14 He will glorify Me, for He take what is mine and declare it to you.  So I'm thinking... I can't remember the verse.  But I'm looking for "glorify me".  Type that into Bible Browser and it returns zero hits in anything.  I actually can't get Bible Browser to do much at all.  Inline Bible searches are better than Bible Browser.  

Respectfully,

Nathan

Posts 27927
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 17 2019 9:44 PM

Ah, I misunderstood - you're looking for a fuzzy search ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15
NATHAN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 18 2019 3:07 AM

No I'm not. Fuzzy search is good.  I use it sometimes on my phone.  Again, I am looking for exactly what Bible Gateway does.  An exact search with an indexed sidebar cataloging the books of the Bible and the hits relative to each book.  Fuzzy search is too much (usually) when I know what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for less noise more signal.

Posts 22268
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 18 2019 3:32 AM

NATHAN:
An exact search with an indexed sidebar cataloging the books of the Bible and the hits relative to each book

There is something similar to this in the Analysis view of the search panel

But its intended for more detailed analysis of results and "heavier" than what you are describing 

Posts 15
NATHAN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 18 2019 4:07 AM

Agreed Graham.  Thank you for your input but it's overkill for what I'm looking for.

I was just making a product enhancement suggestion.  Not looking for a work around.

I'll continue to use Bible Gateway until this is remedied.  1st world problems.  No worries.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS