Summaries of Bible books

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 19 2019 4:34 PM

How would I find summaries for a Bible book? For example, how would I do a search to find a summary of chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3 and so forth of Bible book?

mm.

mm.

Posts 18770
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 5:23 PM

Not sure how you'd construct a search to find those. But I happen to have tagged a number of books in my library as BibleIntro as I've come across this type of book, and many of them do have at least book-by-book summaries, if not chapter by chapter.

So I've done a search in my library for "Chapter Three", "Chapter 3" among books tagged BibleIntro. Then I looked through those 89 results to find ones which were actual summaries of chapters. I've come up with these books which give what you want:

The Bible Panorama: Enjoying the Whole Bible with a Chapter-by-Chapter Guide

Holman Quick Source Guide to Understanding the Bible

How to Read the Bible Book by Book - this one sometimes chunks together a few chapters at a time, but it's mostly chapter-by-chapter

Summarized Bible: Complete Summary of the Old Testament

Summarized Bible: Complete Summary of the New Testament

For a bit more detail, summarizing verses at a time, for the Old Testament only, there's:

The Old Testament Survey Series

Other things you could search for in your library:

"thru the bible", "through the bible", "book by book", "chapter by chapter"; "survey"; "summary"

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 5:31 PM

Well that's perfect and the only book I don't have in my library is The Bible Panorama. But not for long Big Smile

thanks again :)

mm.

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 8:18 PM

Hey Milkman:

If you "hablas"...

https://www.logos.com/product/55132/notas-de-la-biblia-de-referencia-thompson

There used to be an English version, not sure why it was discontinued.

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 8:51 PM

sorry no hablo for me. I've been to the Rivirea before. Does that count? Paradise

mm.

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 3:27 AM

Milkman... LOL.

If I remember well, there was a poster that actually had the notes in English, and said he got it way back, I have looked for it but to no avail in L8.

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 6:57 AM

Well maybe FL will reinstate it.

mm.

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 7:11 AM

Yep, meanwhile Wsearch n OTree both have it in English.

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 8:24 AM

Hey brother? I like your post number Embarrassed

mm.

Posts 1874
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 11:28 AM

Milkman:
How would I find summaries for a Bible book?

Doesn't summarize each chapter, but good BOOK summary videos can be found at https://thebibleproject.com/. To make this post fit within Forum Guidelines, these videos are available on FaithlifeTV for those with access - https://faithlifetv.com/items/515941  

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 12:10 PM

Thanks David. I just came across that website last week searching for bible book summaries. Now that's more my speed 😉

mm.

Posts 25105
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 2:31 PM

Milkman:

How would I find summaries for a Bible book? For example, how would I do a search to find a summary of chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3 and so forth of Bible book?

mm.

You can perform Basic Search of type:bible-commentary (as a resource) for:

(Heading:outline WITHIN {Milestone <Bible Acts>})  OR (<Bible Acts> NEAR Heading:outline)

Some Outlines are not included within the milestone, hence the  NEAR term.

For individual chapters, you can try:

Heading:outline WITHIN {Milestone <Bible Acts 1>}

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 3:19 PM

MM, LOL.

Sometimes things seem to be what they are not. If the devil disguises as an angel of light, can a true believer disguise (or be perceived) as a demon?

Good question, got to investigate it.

By the way some traditions think that the imperfect number (3 times) has more to do with 

Vicarius Fili Dei phrase, but that does not fit the seeming Biblical requirements.

Posts 249
David Owh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 4:36 PM

Dave Hooton:

Milkman:

mm.

You can perform Basic Search of type:bible-commentary (as a resource) for:

(Heading:outline WITHIN {Milestone <Bible Acts>})  OR (<Bible Acts> NEAR Heading:outline)

Some Outlines are not included within the milestone, hence the  NEAR term.

For individual chapters, you can try:

Heading:outline WITHIN {Milestone <Bible Acts 1>}

This is helpful to me. Thank you Dave!

Logos 8 Win 10

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 7:00 PM

Have you tried looking at the Factbook entry for the book of the Bible? Here's a sample of Acts:

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 7:17 PM

Thanks. That seems to work too. Brings up a ton of stuff.

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):

Have you tried looking at the Factbook entry for the book of the Bible? Here's a sample of Acts:

mm.

Posts 144
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 21 2019 6:35 PM

If you have my book, The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, you  will find a brief summary of the contents of every Bible chapter in this resource.

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 22 2019 7:18 AM

I do have it and will use it. Thanks.

Looks like you've come along way on the five dollar Christmas card present. Gift

Thanks again.

Jerome Smith:

If you have my book, The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, you  will find a brief summary of the contents of every Bible chapter in this resource.

mm.

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 6:09 AM

Hi MM:

maybe something from the following will be of help to you:

https://www.logos.com/search?query=the%20Bible%20book%20by%20book&sortBy=Relevance&limit=30&page=1&ownership=all

Posts 3190
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 6:35 AM

Thanks Hamilton. After fine-tuning my preferences I found that there are some in that loooooong list that I have and didn't know it. Funny thing about owning a "few" books. You or should I say me, can't keep track of all of them and once and awhile you'll be looking for a book online and discover that I've had it all along.

Thanks again Yes

mm.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS