Comparison Comments on Zondervan Encyclopedia & Illustrated Bible Backgrounds

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 21 2010 5:42 AM

I have the Anchor Bible Dictionary and ISBE, are the Zondervan resources below better, comparable or different?

• Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible (5 Vols.)
  • Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament (4 Vols.)
  • Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament (5 Vols.)
  • Thanks!Smile

Posts 3861
    Forum MVP
    Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 7:52 AM

Praiser:

I have the Anchor Bible Dictionary and ISBE, are the Zondervan resources below better, comparable or different?

• Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible (5 Vols.)
  • Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament (4 Vols.)
  • Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament (5 Vols.)
  • Thanks!Smile

Praiser, i can't give the level of detail you may want, but here are my observations so far:

• I have had ZEB and ZIBBCOT on Logos for about two months.  I have owned ZIBBCNT on Pradis for a year or so.
    • ZEB is far better than I remembered the old Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia (or whatever it was called).  The articles seem more critical.  Nice illustrations.  I can't compare it to ABD or ISBE, because I have not compared them side by side.  But ZEB has wowed me enough that I will make it one of my top 3 (AYBD and ISBE the others).  It is probably more "evangelical" than AYBD which has a broader scope of scholars on the liberal/conservative spectrum. 
    • ZEB is downloadable to the iPhone, just like AYBD and ISBE
    • The ZIBBC series is different.  It is in commentary format, not topical.  It delves specifically into "background" issues--culture, idiom, etc--of particular texts.  It has at times nice pictures--I found Hebrews quite helpful and used it for a sermon series. 
    • I have used the NT far more extensively than the OT version.  Sometimes the comments are pretty banal.  Some books are stronger than others.  The little I have used the OT version, I like it.
    • ZIBBC is comparable to the IVP Bible Backgrounds commentaries found in this set (which doesn't have pictures like ZIBBC):

http://www.logos.com/products/details/1516

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 847
    Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 9:13 AM

Dan DeVilder:
    i can't give the level of detail you may want, but here are my observations so far:

Observations are very helpful! Thank you.

Posts 847
    Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 11:51 AM

Thanks Dan for your input. I ended up getting all of the sets and a few of the single books, just short of the entire bundle, yet at great pricing. Big Smile

Now the fun part of researching all the new resources. Stick out tongue It's going to be FUN!

Posts 3861
    Forum MVP
    Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 30 2010 12:22 PM

Praiser:

Thanks Dan for your input. I ended up getting all of the sets and a few of the single books, just short of the entire bundle, yet at great pricing. Big Smile

Now the fun part of researching all the new resources. Stick out tongue It's going to be FUN!

the Zondervan set IS a great group of resources!  Enjoy your researching!  Your approach was essentially what I did--I would have gone for it all, but for my income limitations!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS