How would you search for...

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 786
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 26 2019 3:59 PM

I am looking for a story/ sermon illustration about someone who comforted a friend during a time of grief. I thought about searching for...

"wouldn't have made it" friend

Posts 6594
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2019 6:21 PM

Make up your own story.  After all, that’s what most illustrations are “made up stories.”

DAL

Posts 25105
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2019 4:43 PM

Look for "grief" in the Sermon Starter Guide. The section "Preaching Resources" should have many examples.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1190
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2019 5:09 PM

I have a collection of all of my sermon illustration resources, which helps in cases like this.

I would search a sermon illustrations collection (and sermon outlines, as many of them contain illustrations as well)  for: (grief, sorrow, pain) NEAR (comfort*, encourag*). 

If that doesn’t work, substitute the various words for related terms. 

If youd like, I can share my collection with you. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 10600
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 28 2019 5:34 AM

DAL:

Make up your own story.  After all, that’s what most illustrations are “made up stories.”

Personally, I prefer true stories—If I can find them.

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 4:58 PM

Hi Josh:

Your thread has made me think. It just happens that I ran into a neat illustration based on true events:

"Some years ago I was flying a friend to a meeting. Outside Macon, Georgia, we encountered a terrible storm. Suddenly, all my navigation instruments quit functioning, showing red flags or lights. Lightning had just taken out the airplane’s navigational aids.

I called the tower and asked for help. As they gave me heading and altitude changes, I had a choice. I could have said, "No, I don’t like those instructions, I’m going to land my way." Or, I could have said, "I give up, you get me down," and let go of the stick. Either response would have gotten us killed. Both my will and the controller’s had to be active, participating, each doing its assigned task.

The function of the air traffic controller is a good picture of the Holy Spirit’s role in transformation. The words used in Gal. 5:16–18 reflect this duality: "Walk by the Spirit  . . . led by the Spirit." The Spirit leads, we follow. Our part is active obedience."

(1992). Discipleship Journal, Issue 67 (January/February 1992).

Although the above illustration indirectly relates to loss (all navigation equipment), does not truly apply to a human experience of some loss valuable in life.

But what is clear, is that to be a proactive helper of sheep, there is a need to prepare people to have that communication line when the instruments fail so that the Holy Spirit guides, and to understand the importance of "active obedience".

In another resource there was a mention of having strong foundations before the waters start to flow in. Peace with God, restored Koinonia, studied life principles from the Bible, basis of spiritual warfare down, understanding that many of our most prized relations, etc. are loaned by God to us, and we are not to hold on too tight, because He is the real owner, and we were just allowed to share, love, cherish, and care for such loans.

Hope this helps someone.

Peace and grace.

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 5:00 PM

Excellent KS4J, thanks for sharing.

Just to add, some posters have said that looking in Devotionals sometimes yields good results for applications, and I guess can be extended to illustrations.

Then the all time reliable journals and magazines.

Peace and grace.

Posts 18010
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 5:13 PM

Hamilton Ramos:
Although the above illustration indirectly relates to loss (all navigation equipment), ...

Reminded me of a chapter in Flight to Heaven: A Plane Crash...A Lone Survivor...A Journey to Heaven--and Back where a plane had to land at a dark airport since did not have fuel to fly anywhere else.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 786
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 5:29 PM

thanks all for the help

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2019 4:01 AM

Hi Josh:

Just came across the following:

https://www.logos.com/product/45616/practical-illustrations

Not sure if it can be of help. Maybe do a collection of it, and search for grief.

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2019 4:04 AM

Hi KS4J:

off topic, but could you give some input on the following:

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/186617/1077388.aspx#1077388

You have some of the most advanced search techniques in my opinion. Thanks ahead of time if you can give some input.

Posts 716
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2019 6:27 AM

Ok Josh:

The topic is so interesting, that even if I am not a full fledged power user, I will share some ideas of how I would go about this:

In Basic Search:

1 click in the area of the red oval above, and type in the box "illustration". That creates a temporary collection with resources that have such in general.

2 the search term in the query would be "grief"

3 in my case there are a lot of hits, you would have to look at your results to see if there is something you can use.

Another technique is to use Media Search.

You go to media, then type the word "grief" in the search box, and voila, some interesting stuff comes up:

see two of the results of searching in media: on the left the grief cycle diagram.

On the right a nice technique to timeline loss events in a person life, so the unsolved grief can be dealt with.

Depending on the family members, and friends, you could ask the most experienced in general to do such timeline, and to detail the events of such losses so that you would have impactful real life illustrations and general ways in which persons have coped with such.

You could even help them resolve the pending grief issues and you would have the know how and the experience yourself to illustrate.

The resource on the right is:

Wright, H. N. (2011). The complete guide to crisis & trauma counseling: what to do and say when it matters most!. Ventura, CA: Regal.

You could alternatively interview persons that have gone through the above type of counseling and use their cases (with their permit maybe changing identity details) as illustrations.

Hope this helps.

Posts 786
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2019 6:36 AM

thanks; that was helpful

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS