Reading the NET Bible with the Notes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 9017
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 29 2019 9:49 AM

Each year I try to choose a new Bible translation to read. This year I chose the NET Bible which I have been very much appreciating. At the same time I've opened it in multiview to see the accompanying notes. These notes include both study notes and translator notes.

If you are considering reading a new Bible translation, I would highly recommend reading the NET Bible alongside the accompanying notes. https://www.logos.com/product/4468/the-net-bible

If anyone else has read the NET Bible with the notes I'd be interested in hearing your evaluation.

Also, I mention this to say that today I listened to a panel discussion of contributors to the NET Bible that I would highly recommend. Here is the link for those who might be interested - https://voice.dts.edu/tablepodcast/bible-translation/

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1454
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 9:57 AM

I haven't read the NET Bible through, but I use it every day as my primary Bible.

I feel the translation is readable and fairly close to the meaning of the original.

The notes seem to be very useful and give reliable information. Often I use it with evangelical scholarly language and background exegesis and NET seems to be in line with them.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 10329
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 10:46 AM

Just chatting, I use the notes. They work well in small environments (eg iphone, mini, etc) and quickly cut to the chase. Nicely organized.

I've not wanted to use the translation much, though nothing 'wrong' with it. Not sure how one knows a translation is close to 'the meaning'. The original author might struggle as well, when matching languages.

Posts 5566
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 10:48 AM

Bruce Dunning:
If anyone else has read the NET Bible with the notes I'd be interested in hearing your evaluation.

I've not read it cover to cover. But I do look at it often, especially when I have translation questions. I can't say that I always agree with their translation choices, or their explanations, but I most often do. I like it most of the time. Sometimes the translation seems a bit "wooden" to me. That is to say, the translation is accurate, but doesn't always read like natural English (IMHO).  Other than that, it's a solid translation and, if only for the notes, one I'd recommend to those who want to dig in to their Bibles a little deeper.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 9017
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 2:03 PM

Denise:
They work well in small environments (eg iphone, mini, etc) and quickly cut to the chase.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've not yet used it on my phone but I just tried and linked the NET Bible with the notes and it does work quite well. That's a keeper for me!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9017
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 2:09 PM

Rich DeRuiter:
But I do look at it often, especially when I have translation questions. I can't say that I always agree with their translation choices, or their explanations, but I most often do. I like it most of the time.

For sure the notes are excellent as they often explain their translation decisions and provide other options which is very helpful.

Posts 5171
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 5:19 PM

Thanks Bruce for sharing your experience with NET this year. I will have to do that at some point in time.

The podcast sounds like it would be interesting so I’ll have to make some time for it.

Posts 239
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 30 2019 7:44 AM

I like having the Notes and Highlights (Corresponding) visual filter turned on for my annual read through the Bbile. I hope there will be Corresponding Highlights sometime soon for the NET Bible because it looks like a worthwhile translation to read.

-john

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 5171
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 30 2019 8:17 AM

There needs to be a reverse interlinear created for that to happen.

John C Connell Jr.:

I like having the Notes and Highlights (Corresponding) visual filter turned on for my annual read through the Bbile. I hope there will be Corresponding Highlights sometime soon for the NET Bible because it looks like a worthwhile translation to read.

-john

Posts 9017
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 30 2019 5:13 PM

DIsciple II:
There needs to be a reverse interlinear created for that to happen.

What do you think the likelihood of that happening might be?

Posts 312
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 30 2019 8:05 PM

I would echo what Rich said above.  I do not always agree w. their translation or text critical notes (I have discussed this w. Wallace at length), but it is my favorite translation inasmuch as it strikes a healthy balance between formal & dynamic equivalence—which is very necessary IMO (another topic altogether).

I just got the 2nd ed. & actually like it better than the first one (they seemingly cleaned up a lot in the revision).  In sum, I absolutely love this translation and have turned many colleague pastors on to it, and they love it as well.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS