World English Bible availability post production ?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 186
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 29 2019 5:16 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/45383/world-english-bible

Will this be available for free to all users if it gets fully funded? it's improtant as I need something to base research on which will not interfere with IP laws. I would just correct for necessary changes based upon the LEB and others.

Posts 5171
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 5:30 PM

I would not expect it to be free if it gets fully funded. You will likely have to pay a higher price than the community funded price. At some time it may become available to connect subscribers as a one of the classic resources they can choose from each month but that would be years away I expect. More likely too make it into a Logos 10 base package.

Additionally some titles can be waiting for the required funds for many years, and then on e they are reached it can still be a long wait for the resource to be completed so I would recommend looking for other solutions if you want to complete your research any time soon.

Chris Belmonte:

https://www.logos.com/product/45383/world-english-bible

Will this be available for free to all users if it gets fully funded? it's improtant as I need something to base research on which will not interfere with IP laws. I would just correct for necessary changes based upon the LEB and others.

Posts 186
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 5:36 PM

Alright thanks for updating me on it. it's very low priority for me and I can't justify bidding since It could be spent on more pressing books. I want to say a big thank you to Logos for trying to get it in our hands tho. Perhaps eventually. I'll use ASV for now, once I start making prototype documents.

Posts 2423
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 5:48 PM

"Based on the 1901 American Standard Version, the WEB updates the archaic English of the American Standard Version and has been edited to conform to the majority Greek text"

Please note that the ASV is based on the Critical Greek Text. [as are most other modern bibles]

This will be a good addition if it stays faithful to the Majority Text. [[My only other version using the Majority text is only found in eSword.]]  

Posts 10329
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 6:22 PM

David Ames:
This will be a good addition if it stays faithful to the Majority Text. [[My only other version using the Majority text is only found in eSword.]]  

Ok, David. I'm confused. ASV was an early Egyptian strap-hanger. And your Majority Text is somewhere south of the Bosporus. They're separate theories.

Posts 2423
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 1 2019 5:04 AM

Denise:

Ok, David. I'm confused. ASV was an early Egyptian strap-hanger. And your Majority Text is somewhere south of the Bosporus. 

You are not confused if you know that the critical was a late Egyptian strap-hanger [some research shows has it as the newest not the oldest text - however the copies that we have of that text are some of the oldest copies - but that text died out because the church of the day rejected it rather then copy it!] and that the majority was popular south of the Bosporus is a very interesting way of wording it.  [The other text, the TR, is seen as a subset of the majority text.]  But getting a true to the majority text Bible will be useful [even if it is an English translation of that Greek text] [they are going to need to make a LOT of changes to convert from the critical to the majority texts! - I personally have compared English translations of all three texts and noted the differences that show up in the English translations.  [My notes, from 2006 when I did that study, are hundreds of pages long]  ]     

Denise:

They're separate theories.

Theories?   Also an interesting statement.  So the different texts are actually different theories on what the Scripture really is!   

Posts 10329
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 1 2019 7:17 AM

David Ames:
So the different texts are actually different theories on what the Scripture really is! 

Yep. The latest is an algorithm, filtered by opinions!  Tough going, when they went and lost the Words of God. The problem is similar to Moses, faced with trying to fit all the tablet pieces back together. Luckily, he dropped it, while YHWH was still there.

Just judging from Tertulian's comments, the Majority was a composite from churches in the northern Mediterranean.

I'm not sure about a translation whose claim to fame is no copyright, and based on an early critical attempt. I've had it for years, and it pretty much goes normal-church.

EDIT: Kind of related, but in the recently shipped DSS Scribes book,  one of the analyses was how different variants of the OT faired. Were the caves,  enclaves of OT versions??  The answer was 'no'. The versions were mix and match throughout the caves. As in the NT, varying version wording didn't appear to matter.

Posts 186
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 1 2019 11:24 AM

Alright I hope everyone is having a pleasant Sunday. My familiarity with these topics is limited. To say the least, I defer to Heiser, deSilva, Brannan, and others. This is to write commentaries, or maybe sermons. rather ill right now. Unsure if there's an argument going on here or not. I'm not a textual critical person. I'm more or less just experimenting with research, including academic, for some kind of ministerial use, which allows me to bypass IP problems if I made portions of it more available to the public. I do not subscribe to "best translation" theories. There's some i think are substantially better than others.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS