"Resource is no longer in your library" problem

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19
Colin Pretorius | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 2 2019 6:59 AM

Good evening

This evening I tried to open a resource I had previously had access to, and came across the dreaded "This resource is no longer in your library" message. Reading through previous posts on this subject, I see it was suggested that this could pertain to a subscription that has come to an end, but I've not had that. (am a L8 subscriber and also have a few L8 packages). Currently on 8.9.0.0030 (8.9 SR-1), and have done the "run update" thing

It was also suggested that one could execute a "delete unlicensed resources" command, which would remove such resources from the local disk.  I'd be happy to do this if (1) I knew what those resources were and (2) why they were no longer available. I'm not sure if anyone can help with the second question, but perhaps someone can start me off by telling me how to list those resources before deleting them? (It might something simple that I'm just not seeing at the moment!) 

Thanks in advance

Colin

Posts 30
Linda | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 7:18 AM

Hi Colin, I'm very new to Logos, but you can tell what resources have a permanent or temporary license in your library. See picture listing details at the top. Select the "details view" top right of your window and then under license (far right in my library) if you've chosen to display 'license' you will see permanent and temporary. I think also Logos gives you some resources when you're new to show you what's available, but they are temporary. I hope this helps. There are a lot smarter people here than me.

Posts 271
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 7:25 AM

Colin Pretorius:

This evening I tried to open a resource I had previously had access to"

How were you trying to open it when you got the message?

Posts 19
Colin Pretorius | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 8:07 AM

Kevin

I tried opening it using a previously created layout - in this case a layout i created for books on Matthew. When that particular error was displayed, I searched for the book in the library, however it was no longer listed in the library (not surprising if the message says it "..is no longer in your library"

Colin

Posts 27813
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 8:23 AM

Colin Pretorius:
I see it was suggested that this could pertain to a subscription that has come to an end, but I've not had that. (am a L8 subscriber and also have a few L8 packages). Currently on 8.9.0.0030 (8.9 SR-1), and have done the "run update" thing

Your statement "am a L8 subscriber" is confusing when combined with "I've not had that."

For clarification: You can't "subscribe" to L8. You can subscribe to "Faithlife Connect," which is what I assume you mean. If that is the case, then you receive free monthly trial resources. Those are temporary licenses and you lose access to them once the month is over. The behavior you describe is indicative of that. 

If you are still curious, it would be helpful to know which specific resource you are having issues with. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 19
Colin Pretorius | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 8:41 AM

Hi Linda

thanks, that helps. 

unfortunately it has given me some bad news: I see I have 169 temporary licenses.... these include 7 of Grant Osborne's "verse by verse" commentaries, which I had no idea were temporary licences. 

Some like the NT176/211 courses and the various datasets I recognise as temporary, as FL Essential subscribers only have them for a limited time

Another example is the *Free book*  "The Bible Handbook of Difficult Verses" announced on the Free Books Faithlife Group, (https://ebooks.faithlife.com/product/39038/the-bible-handbook-of-difficult-verses-a-complete-guide-to-answering-the-tough-questions).

Nowhere that I can see on the FL page re that book is it specified that it is a temporary license, but that's how it appears in my library.

regards, and thanks again for answering the question that I asked

Colin

Posts 19
Colin Pretorius | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 9:04 AM

JT

I'm sorry you've been confused by my statement. Let me try and clarify for you.

• I have a number of Logos base packages (inc L6 Gold & L8 Reformed)
  • I also subscribe to Faithlife Connect Essentials (no library)
  • I do not have a subscription that has expired 

I know there are monthly trial resources available. Unless they are downloaded automatically, which they might very well be, I do not make use of them. I understand those would be temporary licences only. The same applies to the courses that FL makes available to subscribers for a limited period, as well as the various datasets.

Products that I'm talking about include:

• Wayne Barkhuizen's God behind the scenes: the book of Esther;
  • Grant Osborne's Verse by Verse commentaries on Acts, Colossians & Philemon, Ephesians, Luke, Philippians, Romans, 1&2 Thess.;
  • Spurgeon's commentaries on 1 John, 1&2 Peter, 2 Thess, 2 Tim, Hebrews & Titus;
  • John Barry's (ed) When the Bible is complicated, which was announced as a free book on the Faithlife free book group just a few days ago; and
  • the one that sparked all this off for me: Don Carson's "God with Us: Themes from Matthew"

I trust that helps in clearing it up.

regards

Colin

Posts 18010
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 10:09 AM

Colin Pretorius:
the one that sparked all this off for me: Don Carson's "God with Us: Themes from Matthew"

Faithlife Connect Nov 2019 preview resource => "God with Us: Themes from Matthew" has 40 % discount this month for subscribers.

FYI: my demonstration Faithlife account with $ 0.00 order total includes Logos 7 Fundamentals (gift from Logos 8 upgrade) and $20 coupon used for https://www.logos.com/product/166518/logos-8-fundamentals so Grant Osborne's Colossians & Philemon has a permanent license.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2377
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2019 11:45 AM

You also get a free temporary license of one of the Osborne commentaries for following Morris Proctor on faithlife.com.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 19
Colin Pretorius | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 4 2019 4:27 PM

thanks

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS