The Trinity

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 44 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1770
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2019 6:40 AM | Locked

Agreed. I’ve hit the ”Report Abuse” button a few times but it must not be too much of a problem.

Faithlife was quick to intervene on a couple of threads last week (the Tony Evans one comes to mind) but are just letting this one go.

Posts 352
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2019 7:29 AM | Locked

I will just point out that when (poorly written) links are posted labeling Oneness believers as a supposed “cult” that needs to be “evangelized” w. the “Trinity” (🙄)—and that is tolerated—the fur will fly quickly.  We’re no stranger to this debate.

We could sooo quickly and easily return the favor using identical phraseology if we wanted to—but that is not something I personally am interested in doing on here.

Indeed, one reason I frequent this forum is for a relief from such nastiness...and yes, I have ashamedly been guilty at times.  

However, I do apologize for breaking any forum rules...we just ask for equal scales inasmuch as we didn’t start the fire.

Shalom😊.

Posts 2839
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2019 7:32 AM | Locked

Puddin’:
That’s the quote (the first one is more accurate I think just off the top of my head).  Tertullian was writing against an early “Modalist” named Praxeas, who some believe may have been Sabellius (I have not checked this out).  The point is, if contemporary Oneness Pentecostals are the supposed equivalent of ancient modalism—then according to Tertullian writing in ca. AD 200—they were the “majority of believers.”  Trinitarian apologists are not free to lump us in w. ancient Modalism...and then disregard or explain away the fact that they constituted the majority of believers (I have an entire word document rife w. direct quotes from early writers that speak to this end).

I find this discussion interesting.  Though I am fully Trinitarian, I have friends who are oneness Pentecostals.  I do regard them as brothers and sisters in Christ, and I think they regard me the same.

My questions would be:  How do modern oneness Pentecostals differ from ancient Modalists?  (I would also note that many Pentecostals are Trinitarian.) What would be the major differences between ancient Modalists and modern Oneness groups?

Also, what difference would it make if the majority of believers once believed in Modalism?  Truth is not determined by majority vote, is it?  As Athanasius said regarding his opposition to Arianism, when told that the whole world was against him, "Then I am against the world."  It may have been that a majority of believers once supported Arianism, but truth wins out in the long run.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 204
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2019 7:35 AM | Locked

I find this thread some what amusing. I have noticed in almost every social group, religious or non, you will almost always find the:

• legalist and the libertine
  • touchy and the torchy
  • conformist and non 
  • tattletales and the tight-lips
  • fanboys and their girlfriends.

Perhaps we all don one or more of these hats, depending on our particular mood that day.

Posts 397
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 6 2019 9:56 AM | Locked

Locked for theological discussion. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS