New American Commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1203
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 10 2019 12:34 PM

I wonder whether this link means that the New American Commentary volumes are going to be updated/replaced by a new series based on the Christian Standard Bible?

https://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/products/the-christian-standard-commentary-on-1-2-peter-jude/

Thomas Schreiner wrote the current New American Commentary on those books. The book is out next summer. 

Of course the NAC series is still incomplete - albeit only by 2 volumes. 

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2019 2:05 PM

Paul Caneparo:
replaced by a new series based on the Christian Standard Bible

It would make sense financially for them.  I suspect they pay a royalty on the NAC publication that they won't incur with their own CBS version.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1054
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2019 2:38 PM

The NAC is based on the NIV text and the new series will obviously be based on the CSB text so they could reuse most of the material and just edit where necessary depending on differences between the two translations. I took a quick look at Jude and noticed that at v12 Schreiner prefers the CSB translation over the NIV. That's not surprising though, seeing as he's the co-chair of the translation team. In fact you'll notice that many of the CSB translation team members have written volumes for the NAC series. https://csbible.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TranslationTeam_HCSB-CSB-1.pdf

Tom

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2019 4:57 PM

Paul Caneparo:
I wonder whether this link means that the New American Commentary volumes are going to be updated/replaced by a new series based on the Christian Standard Bible?

That would not give me any incentive to update the volumes I already own. I don't use either NIV or CSB on a regular basis.

Posts 2403
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 10 2019 5:53 PM

I leave the base text as only relevant if someone uses it in a Bible study group context. Most of us need to know what the Bible is saying and that is going to be beyond a given translation. The NIV/CSB merely point towards how modern translators word something for current usage and it's much more applicable to someone with a print copy than any Logos user who hits a button to see a bunch of translations at a glance.

Only a thoroughly updated commentary is worth ponying up to get.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1976
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2019 12:56 PM

Paul Caneparo:
Thomas Schreiner wrote the current New American Commentary on those books. The book is out next summer. 

Dr. Schreiner briefly talks about the rebranding of the NAC series in this podcast with Dr. Andreas Kostenberger - https://cbs.mbts.edu/podcast/mentoring-the-next-generation-of-scholars/ Beginning at 3:30 Schreiner says his update to the CSC is a "major revision"

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1203
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2019 1:07 PM

David Thomas:

Paul Caneparo:

Dr. Schreiner briefly talks about the rebranding of the NAC series in this podcast with Dr. Andreas Kostenberger - https://cbs.mbts.edu/podcast/mentoring-the-next-generation-of-scholars/ Beginning at 3:30 Schreiner says his update to the CSC is a "major revision"

Good to know it's a major revision and not just changing the Bible text or re-branding exercise.

Posts 2403
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2019 3:38 PM

You would think since 2003 would add more reflection. Not too hard to see.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 7081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 8:20 AM

Is FL changing the name on out NAC series or are they going to leave it the same?

DAL

Posts 1203
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 8:24 AM

DAL:

Is FL changing the name on out NAC series or are they going to leave it the same?

DAL

From one of the posts above it sounds as though the first volume is significantly different to the existing volume by the same author - so not just a rebranding exercise or simply changing the Bible text to the CSB translation. Therefore, I think it will be deemed a totally new series - leaving the existing NAC series to remain as is and presumably never to be updated as such.

Posts 7081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 14 2019 8:30 AM

Paul Caneparo:

DAL:

DAL

From one of the posts above it sounds as though the first volume is significantly different to the existing volume by the same author - so not just a rebranding exercise or simply changing the Bible text to the CSB translation. Therefore, I think it will be deemed a totally new series - leaving the existing NAC series to remain as is and presumably never to be updated as such.

I hope they at least finish the remaining volumes.

Posts 2756
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 20 2019 6:48 AM

DAL:
I hope they at least finish the remaining volumes.

I agree.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS