Reading tracker for 2020

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
Brad | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 26 2019 7:00 PM
Here's some of the goals for reading and my desire for a "one stop" tracking system. I want to map out all of the books I want to read for 2020. That way I am staying focused, can just move through books, and don't have to worry about "what shall I read next" and getting distracted. I'd like to work through some larger volumes over the year, and then move through smaller books one by one. Second, for the first time I am going to commit to regular Bible reading plans. My goal is to start the year with a 90 day read the entire Bible plan, and then move onto some different style plans that allow me to focus more in depth. The goal for a tracking system: I'd like to list all of the books I want to read for 2020 and have a place to jot thoughts down about the book, save quotes so I can produce a book review, and estimate how long it will take me to read the book if I read "x" amount of pages and want to finish in "x" amount of time. I'd also like to have a place where I can reflect on the daily reading of the Bible. So for example, day 1, I read Genesis 1-15. I'd like to have the ability to offer reflections and anything else inside this system. Right now I am all over the place. I use Logos to generate reading plans and store highlights and notes, but this won't allow me to track regular reading. If I setup a bullet journal to track all of this, I end up always quitting because I hate my handwriting. I've thought about using Notion.So, but this seems like a lot of work. I DONT want to use Excel/Google Sheets. I want something that looks better. So, any thoughts? Anyone trying to do something similar for 2020?
Posts 28908
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 8:35 AM

I don't have any suggestions for something which will accomplish all you laid out. I keep track of what I have already read through Amazon's GoodReads app/website. It helps me to know what I am currently reading, and what I have already read. For your purposes, you can also create a list of "books to read in 2020." If you enable sorting on that list, you can arrange (or rearrange them) as needed. 

The ability to add GoodReads to Logos is fairly high on my wish list of non-necessities. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3992
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 9:16 AM

What about using a Reading List to make a list of the books you want to read? You can check them off the list as you complete each one.

As for the estimate, you’d probably have to work that out by hand, figuring out the number of pages you’d have to read each day, based on the total number of pages (from your 2020 reading list).

Clippings or Notes (attachments or highlights) can be used to save quotes.

If FL would enhance the Courses tool, it could take the place of reading lists and reading plans, while tracking progress through your custom 202X course. I’d also be curious how custom Workflows could fit into the tool, in the form of activities that let you reflect on your reading.

Perhaps post in the Problems and Pain Points thread to express what you want to accomplish?

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/187068.aspx

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 661
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 9:26 AM

Brad, Since you're looking for a solution that looks better than spreadsheets, you may want to take a look at Trello.  As with Notion.So, you would have to put in some time up front for setup, but, between Trello and Logos tools, you could accomplish much of what you're seeking to do.

Please keep up posted regarding what you decide, and how it works.

Posts 19
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 27 2019 4:38 PM

Brad:

Brad, Since you're looking for a solution that looks better than spreadsheets, you may want to take a look at Trello.  As with Notion.So, you would have to put in some time up front for setup, but, between Trello and Logos tools, you could accomplish much of what you're seeking to do.

Please keep up posted regarding what you decide, and how it works.

I used Trello before and really liked it.  I spent some time reading about "reading trackers" using Trello and it actually caused me to go back to Notion.So.  Seems that this will be the best option for me.  Thanks Brad!!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS