What is the definition of aphtarot/aftarot as related to Hebrew manuscripts?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 27535
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 28 2019 1:00 AM

From the Hebrew Bible Manuscript documentation:"Aphtarot: The manuscript description indicates the manuscript includes the Aftarot." I can't find a definition in my resources or on google for aftarot. Help!

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3386
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 4:47 AM
Rick should be able to tell you. I can't view those tagged manuscripts to see what they might include. The only word I could find that might correspond to that transliteration was אַפְטָרָה f. (פטר, Nif. נִפְטַר to part; v. הַפְטָרָה) 1) farewell-address, homiletic observations made on parting with the host that entertained scholars, toast (in praise of hospitality, charity, support of students &c.). Gen. R. s. 60 R. Y. עבד לה א׳ used the (preceding) text for a toast; a. fr.—2) v. אַפְטַרְתָּא. Compare to הַפְטָרָה f. (פָּטַר, v. אַפְטָרָה.) 1) farewell-address, toast on parting. Gen. R. s. 69, end.—2) Haftarah, prophetic lesson read in Synagogue after the reading from the Pentateuch, v. אַפְטַרְתָּא. 30b.—Pl. הַפְטָרוֹת. Ib.; a. e. Jastrow, M. (1903). A Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the Midrashic Literature and II (Vol. 1, p. 360). London; New York: Luzac & Co.; G. P. Putnam’s Sons.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 8
Jerry McFerron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 5:21 AM

Could it be haftarot?

Posts 26
LogosEmployee
Jimmy Parks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 8:51 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haftarah

"The haftarot are an ancient part of Hebrew liturgy. These supplemental readings are excerpted from the Prophets (Nevi’im) and accompany each weekly Sabbath reading from the Torah as well as readings for special Sabbaths and festivals."

Posts 27535
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 9:47 AM

Thanks Jimmy. I didn't know enough Hebrew to add the "h". I suspect that might be a problem to other users as well.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26
LogosEmployee
Jimmy Parks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 10:22 AM

Yes. Using transliteration leads to those types of problems. -ah is the feminine singular and -ot is the plural ending for some Hebrew nouns.

Posts 27535
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 10:56 AM

It was the missing "h" at the beginning that threw me and kept me from finding any dictionary entries.

Posts 3321
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 10:59 AM

Jimmy Parks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haftarah

"The haftarot are an ancient part of Hebrew liturgy. These supplemental readings are excerpted from the Prophets (Nevi’im) and accompany each weekly Sabbath reading from the Torah as well as readings for special Sabbaths and festivals."

In other words, there's a typo in the resource.

Puer natus est nobis. Merry Christmas!

Catholic Products Forum - Book Suggestions UserVoice - Verbum Blog

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS