Searching Psalms for Genre in the NT

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 36
Elivando Carvalho de Mesquita | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 7 2020 10:46 AM

Please, how find the Psalms used for Jesus in the New Testament, but by Genre? Exemple: Lament.

Posts 25191
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2020 2:54 PM

It's a little complicated, but

1.  Find the Psalms that are laments and that are quoted/alluded to in the Gospels

{Label Intertext WHERE Target ~ <Mt-Jn>} WITHIN {Label Psalm WHERE Genre=Lament} - results are in the OT (Psalms)

2. Find the Psalms spoken by Jesus

{Speaker <Person Jesus>} WITHIN {Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Ps  22>} - results are in the NT

where you have to input the Psalms that you got from 1. e.g. Ps 22 (don't bother with the verse numbers)

2. can find all the Psalms spoken by Jesus, but you have to know which ones are Laments, etc.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 36

Hi, thank you very much! 

Posts 27535
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 11:18 AM

Dave, wouldn't the set functions in Passage Lists be able to combine the two sets of results?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25191
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 6:57 AM

MJ. Smith:

Dave, wouldn't the set functions in Passage Lists be able to combine the two sets of results?

No. One set of results come from the OT and the other set comes from the NT. You'd need a pipe process to combine the two.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3384
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 12:18 PM

I was curious what this search would result in but the web app shows nothing.  It turn up results from #2 though.  Is there a mistype somewhere or am I doing the search wrong?  I plan to try on my desktop later today.

Posts 25191
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 1:19 PM

Mattillo:
I was curious what this search would result in but the web app shows nothing.

The web app doesn't properly recognize these searches, and even thinks they are candidates for Fuzzy Search. They are intended for the desktop app.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS