Odd search

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 851
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 8 2020 8:24 AM

I am reading what Randy Alcorn says about Heaven. His view is that when we die we will go to Heaven, but not the forever Heaven. Eventually the current Heaven will be destroyed and there will be a new Heaven on the new Earth. 

I want to know what others think of this idea. How do I search for that?

(By the way, feel free to send specific resources and results of search.)

Posts 30196
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 11:03 AM

How does that differ from the paradise/heaven distinction? That was my immediate thought for searching.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 703
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 12:13 PM

Hello, Josh!

One avenue for study of this topic would be to look at your commentaries and theological dictionaries concerning Luke 23:43 and the word Paradise.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential | Logos 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | Logos 9 Academic Professional

Posts 703
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 8:42 AM

Josh Hunt:

I want to know what others think of this idea. How do I search for that?

(By the way, feel free to send specific resources and results of search.)

As I was reading yesterday evening, a download became available. I let it come on down and when I saw it, I was immediately reminded of your post. If this is a topic of interest for you, an aid to the discussion would be Afterlife and Resurrection Beliefs in the Apocrypha, Apocalyptic Literature, and Pseudepigrapha (Jewish and Christian Texts) (2 vols.).

I’ve only had a few hours with the resource (I had to go to sleep, though I fought it off as long as I could), but it appears to be well written and easy to digest. Such as, after the author discusses the various texts, he places everything in tables for easier consumption of what was just discussed. It’s an amazing look at the prevalent thoughts and beliefs of peoples concerning the afterlife during the Second Temple Period and how those very thoughts and beliefs had possibly developed by examining their literature. If you want to know how these beliefs developed in postexilic Judaism and on into Rabbinic Judaism and early Christianity – this is the resource you want in your library!

One other note – if you do purchase this resource, get the bundle with both volumes as the summary and conclusions for both volumes are found at the end of the second volume – the Pseudepigrapha.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential | Logos 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | Logos 9 Academic Professional

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS