What should we expect for our investment in Logos/Verbum?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28921
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 19 2020 5:23 PM

I've been reading through the literature to understand what the "standard tools" are for text analysis."Visual Text Analysis in Digital Humanities" provides the following diagram.

Logos does reasonably well in the named entities sector.

While topics are tagged, we lack anything that identifies clusters/density changes

In similar patterns, text re-use and case-frame linguistic patterns have some coverage.

Corpus analysis ... off the top of my head I can't think of any tools that handle this.

Text of interest ... my event guide & semantic action/verb view is intended to get us a bit further on the story flow aspect; interpretation should be a very large chunk of our tools but I find the coverage very spotty when mapping against the tools needed for particular types of interpretation.

If I were to modify this taxonomy to reflect specifically Biblical text analysis, what adjustments would you recommend. Among the currently unsupported or lightly supported elements, which you you most like to see added?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10871
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2020 7:23 PM

My software spends all her time on the blue and green.  I did a little work on the purple, but it's statistically unsupportable (insufficient populations).

No offense to others, but I've never seen much use for the orange and red, though Logos seems to do mainly orange, and is a little squeem-ish in the red.

But the key missing color (yellow?) is theology. The whole series of layering theology (authors) should be added. Even the histories/narritives are usually theological. Logos currently approaches theology from the end-point, not the text itself.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 28921
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 19 2020 7:53 PM

Denise:
Logos currently approaches theology from the end-point, not the text itself.

This flaw is not limited to theology

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS