SUGGESTION: Convert lists of references into check-off lists

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 29098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 21 2020 6:17 PM

A frequent request for Guide sections such as Commentaries, Ancient Literature, or Catholic Topical Index is that the user wants to be able to use the Guide as a check-off list. This should not be difficult to provide:

1. To the Guide section bar menu add an option "create Reading List"

2. Selecting the new option will create a new, private Reading List with all the standard Reading List behavior.

3. When created, the Reading List should open on the left - it already has the check boxes for use as a check-off list.

4. The same principle can be applied to the sections of Factbook.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3703
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 7:36 PM

What about an option to do this right inside the guide section? Commentaries already had stars you could toggle.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 29098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 7:43 PM

PetahChristian:
What about an option to do this right inside the guide section? Commentaries already had stars you could toggle.

The L7 Guides had some permanence allowing for notes and ratings. Those disappeared in L8 because the Guides no longer have any permanent document. It would be a very major project to reverse that change. On the other hand, reading lists are permanent documents that are already implemented in the system; the request simply expands the use of an already existing feature.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3703
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 8:42 PM

MJ. Smith:
Those disappeared in L8 because the Guides no longer have any permanent document. It would be a very major project to reverse that change.

I didn't think we should reverse that change. FL could come up with a different way to do it that isn't document-based (and doesn't require us having to open a second pane and use a different tool to accomplish this).

MJ. Smith:
On the other hand, reading lists are permanent documents that are already implemented in the system;

Please don't misconstrue this as an argument, but there's no guarantee that the current reading list feature, as we know it, will still be around down the road. Reading lists may be there now, but that doesn't mean that FL has to adopt them for this approach.

A long while ago, there was some excitement around the "modern" Courses tool, and what else it might do. User-created courses, reading plans, and even the notion of reading lists within that tool, which I briefly mentioned on the L9 wishlist.

I'd like to think that FL is forward-thinking and might still bring us easier and better ways to create and digest content like courses, reading plans, and reading lists.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 29098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 9:11 PM

PetahChristian:

MJ. Smith:
Those disappeared in L8 because the Guides no longer have any permanent document. It would be a very major project to reverse that change.

I didn't think we should reverse that change. FL could come up with a different way to do it that isn't document-based (and doesn't require us having to open a second pane and use a different tool to accomplish this).

Sorry but basic computer architecture requires a persistent document. Reusing a current feature does not imply that the user interface is the same. Personally, I would prefer to be able to have the check list open without taking all the real estate of the Guide. I'd be even more happy if it was a sliding panel that could be hidden and retrieved. You are free to have different priorities on the implementation.

Were you involved in the testing/creation of content for the courses feature? FL has made several serious attempts to handle the features you mention ... but the resources they need to handle are so diverse as to make it a very thorny problem.  And I am very good at breaking that sort of feature.

Posts 3703
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 9:30 PM

MJ. Smith:
Sorry but basic computer architecture requires a persistent document.

Persistence doesn't require a Logos document. Logos also persists data in databases, as you clearly know.

MJ. Smith:
Personally, I would prefer to be able to have the check list open without taking all the real estate of the Guide.

Ah, you want to do this outside the guide! I completely support that!

I prefer to track it within a guide section, and didn't see the need for a separate reading list.

Posts 29098
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 9:35 PM

PetahChristian:

MJ. Smith:
Sorry but basic computer architecture requires a persistent document.

Persistence doesn't require a Logos document. Logos also persists data in databases, as you clearly know.

A case of divided by a common language 

There is no guide section in which to track it. That is why I chose to reuse another feature in hopes of making the project small enough to get serious consideration. I also would hope to expand it to include Factbook and Search results but my initial suggestion is designed for initial feasibility.

But it is useful to Logos developers to see opinions other than mine as to what features the solution should include; it is they, and only they, that are responsible for the underlying architecture.

Posts 3703
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 9:52 PM

MJ. Smith:
A case of divided by a common language

Smile Sorry that we weren't using the same lexicon!

MJ. Smith:
I also would hope to expand it to include Factbook and Search results.

We merely have different approaches to the same problem. Again, I'd want to check off things in those original tools, if it were possible, rather than utilizing a separate list.

One approach is more natural and familiar to you, the other more natural and familiar to me, but I don't expect FL to implement two different approaches.

Grateful for all your suggestions and contributions, MJ!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS