ATTN FL: What behavior should I expect from the "passage" command line?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28281
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 24 2020 10:13 PM

Note: I am actually using LOGOS for this beta rather than VERBUM. I also misunderstood the changes between L7 and L8 - I thought the GO box and the Command box were merged, not that the GO box functionality disappeared.

I've been trying to get a handle on how Logos looks to a new user ... and managed to thoroughly confuse myself. On the home page, the command line/go box has the directions "Enter passage or search". So I entered "John 3:16" assuming that it fell into the "passage" option. Here is what I got:

1. I certainly didn't expect a selection of books unrelated to the reference type I entered ... and Logos not recognizing a Bible reference really surprised me. Could we get books that contain the passage?
  2. I assume that the Layout is the Home Page Layout - this is exactly the behavior I expected
  3. The Look Up option makes perfect sense.
  4. The Reading Aloud option makes sense
  5. The Searches are reasonable.

I next tried with a standard reference CCC 331 only to switch to a Book of Concord reference to be less Catholic and to provide a serious test.

Okay here there is absolutely no evidence that the system even considered the possibility that a reference was given. I would have expected that the system would slap < > on an unlabeled string of characters and check for a standard reference.

How I would expect the command parsing to work is:

• is this a known command?
  • if I add < >, is this a known reference?
  • otherwise assume the text is a search term

What is the system actually doing?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25392
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 1:11 AM

MJ. Smith:
I also misunderstood the changes between L7 and L8 - I thought the GO box and the Command box were merged, not that the GO box functionality disappeared.

The boxes were merged but the GO functionality was initially compromised. The fix was to provide multiple options to return the functionality of the GO box whilst continuing to meet expectations for the Command box. And if you consistently choose one option e.g. Look up, it will be presented first in the list.

MJ. Smith:

• I certainly didn't expect a selection of books unrelated to the reference type I entered ... and Logos not recognizing a Bible reference really surprised me. Could we get books that contain the passage?

That is unexpected!

MJ. Smith:
I assume that the Layout is the Home Page Layout - this is exactly the behavior I expected

Yes, but users get it confused with the Quickstart layout.

MJ. Smith:
Okay here there is absolutely no evidence that the system even considered the possibility that a reference was given.

You have to use an Open command for non-Bible references  e.g.

open ANF2 to Ath., R. 20

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 28281
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 1:52 AM

Dave Hooton:
And if you consistently choose one option e.g. Look up, it will be presented first in the list.

This I can live with although an inconsistent ordering of the sections is not a favorite interface for me especially if it thinks that because I usually open resources through the Command box, I want resources when I enter a reference for a passage.

Dave Hooton:
Yes, but users get it confused with the Quickstart layout.

I won't go into all the reasons I considered the merging of the Command Box and the Go Box into a single box ... too many incompatible mindsets in the users.

Dave Hooton:
You have to use an Open command for non-Bible references 

I'm just demanding enough to think that if they say "passage or search" [Note it doesn't say "command"] that I should be able to enter any passage milestone and have the highest priority resource open to the passage. There is a large chunk of literature that I know the references but not the resource name - especially in the extended canon i.e. things seriously considered for the canon someplace, sometime or a variety of church documents.  I expected a bit more "brights" in parsing what I entered.

All in all, I used the L7's Home page features much more than I do L8's

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25392
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 2:22 AM

MJ. Smith:
I'm just demanding enough to think that if they say "passage or search" [Note it doesn't say "command"] that I should be able to enter any passage milestone and have the highest priority resource open to the passage.

Ok, but 'passage' has always been understood as a bible reference (at least from the old Home Page GO Box). Some other datatypes are interpreted without a formal context e.g. G100.

I feel an Enhancement is underway.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 28281
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 2:32 AM

Dave Hooton:
at least from the old Home Page GO Box

You see as someone who found CCC 105 worked ... a typical Catholic approach, I'll grant ... L7 broke my assumption that passage meant Biblical passage .... but we both go back to when one of us had to fight to get "Biblical" to mean "my full Biblical not your short Biblical and BTW some people think my Biblical is short".

Posts 3407
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 12:03 PM

Dave Hooton:

I feel an Enhancement is underway.

I sure hope so.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS