Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:40 PM

Ok, I have had a wild idea lately about how logos might be able to punch out more books and we the reader can have books that we love. 

What if you outsourced the general typing of the books to owners of logos.  Let us type up a book for you and then you can add all the awesome linking and stuff.  But a majority of the work can be done by all of us.  I know I would be willing to do it for that book to be downloaded for free.  Especially all that I could learn from reading through a book and typing it out. 

This would allow for more books that we all love and a cheaper way to have the books typed out.  Is this even remotely possible?

Posts 29584
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:41 PM

I suspect the process is more scan and edit - certainly picking up PBB's as their base for linking could save some expenses. But I suspect that Logos has to invest considerable resources to ensuring that they meet the copyright laws - international and those specific to the countries in which they sell.  Unless you know copyright paralegals ... :-)

A variation on your idea might be to make the criteria for the linking public and encourage more file sharing among users. However, I would certainly understand if they treated the criteria as propriety trade-secrets. Another possible variation would be for Logos to move into the cataloging of journals in a more serious way - trading the cataloging for electronic publication rights to back issues.  This cataloging could be done by seminary students - it probably already is - which expands the Logos work force a bit with knowledgeable workers.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:41 PM

ScottSolimine:

Ok, I have had a wild idea lately about how logos might be able to punch out more books and we the reader can have books that we love. 

What if you outsourced the general typing of the books to owners of logos.  Let us type up a book for you and then you can add all the awesome linking and stuff.  But a majority of the work can be done by all of us.  I know I would be willing to do it for that book to be downloaded for free.  Especially all that I could learn from reading through a book and typing it out. 

This would allow for more books that we all love and a cheaper way to have the books typed out.  Is this even remotely possible?

I think they already have people offshore doing entry.  Do you really want more books more rapidly?  My checkbook can hardly keep up now.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 11:35 PM

Well for me it isn't about not being able to keep up.  But getting books that I specificically want or need.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 11:22 AM

ScottSolimine:

This was discussed in the newsgroups a while back. The short answer is that it is not cheaper. The reason is that even if typists are 99% correct, that 1% error is just too much for resources of this type. Finding and correcting these errors is very expensive, and putting out low quality resources hurts Logos' reputation.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 71
Aeolus Jacobus | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 3:45 PM

Not to mention all the legal issues regarding distribution. You can't just type up a book and put it in the program and have it operate like all the other books. The closest thing to this is sermon file which is searchable.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 4:18 PM

Aeolus Jacobus:
Not to mention all the legal issues

You said you wouldn't mention it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 4:45 PM

George Somsel:

Aeolus Jacobus:
Not to mention all the legal issues

You said you wouldn't mention it.

Not to mention somebody/something: Idiom

Usage notes: used to add emphasis to what you are saying

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS