What collections/resource lists do you maintain for Text Comparison and Passage Analysis

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 28760
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 30 2020 12:06 PM

Assumptions:

• collections are problematic as we cannot control sequence and therefore not control the base text. They are useful, however, for "everything else"
  • many of the lists have a long form for Text Comparison and a short form for Passage Analysis

Resource lists I find helpful:

for "parallel" Bibles:

• KJV/NASB/NCB/CEB/NIV/NLT/NKJV/Message (my "evangelical" cut which needs updating)
  • NEB/NRSV/NJB/NABRE (my Protestant/Catholic cut)

for original languages:

• [standard critical edition]/[major manuscripts]/everything else

for English and other modern languages:

• [broadest canon]/[top versions (among liturgical churches)/everything else
  • Bibles in chronological order

for lectionary work

• authorized translations for a particular lectionary - across geographic boundaries

for historical tradition comparison - all English translations:

• NRSV (to establish canon)/JPS/DSS/Targums/LXX/Peshitta/D-R (for Vulgate)

for translation base:

• translations based on critical text
  • translations based on Textus Receptus
  • translations based on Vulgate
  • translations based on LXX
  • translations based on Patriarchal text

for denominational use:

• Jewish translations
  • Catholic translations
  • Orthodox translations

for exegetical work - based on "He expresses a preference for formal-equivalence translations and divides translations into four categories: 1) preferred for exegesis (NRSV, NAB, TNIV, and NET), 2) useful for exegesis, with caution (RSV, NIV, NASB, REB, ESV, HCSB), 3) unacceptable for exegesis, but helpful in others ways (NLT, NJB, CEV, GNB, The Message), and 4) unacceptable for exegesis (KJV, NKJV, LB)."

and, of course, an ever changing "my personal favorites"

I want to collect additional ideas ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2318
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 12:52 PM

MJ. Smith:

Assumptions:

• collections are problematic as we cannot control sequence and therefore not control the base text. They are useful, however, for "everything else"  

The way I get around this for comparison work is to have collections that are missing the base text. For example I have a collection call "Greek Compare" that does not have the NA28. When setting up the Text Comparison I would include the NA28 and then the collection "Greek Compare"

That is how I get around this problem when I want a specific base text.

Posts 10788
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 30 2020 1:10 PM

I have one collection for english Bibles sorted by date (prefixing titles). I like to see translation trends.

I never used PA except to see if they ever labeled the graph information. My one layout is one monster passage analysis.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS