Lexham Context Commentary?

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3838
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 7 2020 1:36 PM

Did I somehow miss this on PrePub?  I just saw this today... looks interesting.

https://www.logos.com/context-commentary

It'd be a shame if they didn't have it on PrePub first for a few to get it at a discount first but oh well... maybe I missed it somewhere

Posts 2555
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 2:29 PM

This is looking good! I hope it's gonna be included in an L9 base package, as I don't have the spare change to buy it now at full price.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 7182
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 2:51 PM

I don’t think it was in Prepub, they just released it — either way you can use your faith life connect 25% off to get it.

DAL

Posts 9229
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 4:11 PM

Jan Krohn:
I hope it's gonna be included in an L9 base package

I was thinking the same thing. This looks like a great resource.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 24
Ryland Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 7:17 PM

I bought it.  It's a solid resource that does what it says.  Well worth the $100 if one can afford it. 

Posts 3838
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 7:25 PM

I’ll wait for a sale or hope for L9 inclusion. What perplexes me is the lack of advertisement. 

Posts 28950
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 7:55 PM

Ryland Brown:
It's a solid resource that does what it says. 

I've also purchased it. It drives me nuts with comments like "the mysterious wise men" where I see nothing in the text that makes them "mysterious" or with prayer "day and night" being assumed to be figurative rather than checking the Jewish prayer hours of Paul's time. The latter led me down a rabbit trail of three Jewish hours of prayer being associated with the three patriarchs ... Jacob being the origin of evening prayer. Oh, yes, back to the resource at hand. One of the strengths of the volume is that it is very repetitive - in a positive way. If you pick up midway through a pericope, you can count on seeing the relevant material being repeated on your verse. For a commentary to dip into this is a real plus. It also does a good job of pointing out the obvious - i.e. it doesn't assume "everybody knows" how "behold" is used; this makes it useful to all levels of readers in a very positive sense. The scope of the commentary seems to be fairly narrow - identifying the hierarchical structure of the text, how that structure is marked in scripture, where the given passage fits in the structure, what links are provided to the wider history of God in the world. Don't expect to find very much on how pronouncement stories or chiasms are used to organize the text. But yes, I recommend the book -- just don't ask me about FL's "literal" level of the text throughout their products.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7182
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 8:08 PM

From the samples, I prefer the LRC as I think they give you more than what this new series gives you.  Besides, like MJ said, what’s so mysterious about the wise guys? 

DAL

Posts 132
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 8:10 PM

It's a few dollars off when you order it as part of the Lexham Press New Testament Commentaries Bundle (21 vols.).  If you are not able to take advantage of the Connect 25% off coupon, it makes it cheaper.

https://www.logos.com/product/189366/lexham-press-new-testament-commentaries-bundle 

It is the only product I do not own in the 21 volume bundle, so the dynamic pricing drops the 3-volume Context Commentary to  $92.08 USD.

Posts 24
Ryland Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 9:17 PM

MJ. Smith:

Ryland Brown:
It's a solid resource that does what it says. 

If you pick up midway through a pericope, you can count on seeing the relevant material being repeated on your verse. For a commentary to dip into this is a real plus. It also does a good job of pointing out the obvious - i.e. it doesn't assume "everybody knows" how "behold" is used; this makes it useful to all levels of readers in a very positive sense. 

For me, this is a value of the book.  I like a technical commentary written toward the seminary and a applicable commentary written toward the pew.  This work helps in a little bit more nuanced way by helping readers connect the dots from the author of the text's perspective. Giving some explanation to the pericope's purpose to the overall section is great as I use more technical resources.  Not losing the forest for the trees... I'm happy with it. 

Posts 4732
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 12:34 AM

Anyone any idea how this works?

Posts 3628
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 1:38 AM

Mike Binks:

That would happen if individual items are on sale, but the bundle itself isn't.

By the way, Connect subscribers have temporary access to some of those commentaries. Did you want to buy the ones you're subscribed to?

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 7182
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 6:30 AM

PetahChristian:

Mike Binks:

By the way, Connect subscribers have temporary access to some of those commentaries. Did you want to buy the ones you're subscribed to?

I’m a connect subscriber and I don’t see them.  Are they only accessible through the desktop app? Because I just searched for them in my phone and nothing shows up.

DAL

Posts 7182
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 7:07 AM

BTW, does the set include graphics or just text?

Posts 3628
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 7:22 AM

DAL:

PetahChristian:

Mike Binks:

I’m a connect subscriber and I don’t see them.  Are they only accessible through the desktop app? Because I just searched for them in my phone and nothing shows up.

DAL

I was referring to the Verse by Verse commentaries in Mike’s screenshot.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 549
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 7:24 AM

Not sure I understand why these resources exist. Nearly every commentary I've read has thoroughly discussed context, not just at the beginning but throughout the shifts or sections within a book. And not just the broad or narrow context, but both.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 10877
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 7:41 AM

J. Remington Bowling:
Not sure I understand why these resources exist

That was my impression. But,  I'm not a pericoper, so MJ's point on that is good.

Being a bad girl by nature, I'm forever suspicious of Lexham, since you can't tell where they're coming from. Even the translations. I feel far more comfortable with known-perspective, even opposite my own (eg Brown on one end, and IVP on the other).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 8:14 AM

J. Remington Bowling:

Not sure I understand why these resources exist. Nearly every commentary I've read has thoroughly discussed context, not just at the beginning but throughout the shifts or sections within a book. And not just the broad or narrow context, but both.

Did you read my mind? Careful, that could be dangerous. From the descriptions in the thread, I see no reason to purchase a volume that contains information that should be in any decent technical (or even Intermediate) commentary.

Posts 7182
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 8:58 AM

PetahChristian:

DAL:

PetahChristian:

Mike Binks:

DAL

I was referring to the Verse by Verse commentaries in Mike’s screenshot.

Aaah ok👌 Thanks!

Posts 645
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 9:12 AM

Why isn't there a video demonstration of how this resource works?

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS