Help Us Fund: The Scriptures, 2009 Edition

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1064
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 5:16 PM

David Ames:

EastTN:

whatever the theoretical advantages of this translation approach may be, the result does seem annoying.  Forcing the reader to flip back and forth between the Roman and Hebrew alphabets in the middle of a verse strikes me as particularly obnoxious.  

There are only a few names in Hebrew [other then place names] and one soon recognizes the name of God [and most of the other ones used over and over again]  So it is not that distracting to one that uses it frequently.  [a friend uses it as her goto bible.  After a half hour study with her, using that version, I was reading "God" and "Jesus" almost as if I knew what I was doing] 

I'm glad you find it useful.  It may just be a personal quirk of mine, but I find Hebrew words interspersed in English sentences more distracting than Greek words - I think it's because of the switch in text direction from left-to-right to right-to-left and back again.

Posts 2500
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 5:49 PM

EastTN:

I'm glad you find it useful.  It may just be a personal quirk of mine, but I find Hebrew words interspersed in English sentences more distracting than Greek words - I think it's because of the switch in text direction from left-to-right to right-to-left and back again.

Just so happened that my friend with this version was at our prayer meeting tonight and we talked about this very subject. If you read Hebrew and Greek yes, their appearing in the middle of a verse could be a shock.  But if you are like my friend and I the rare Hebrew word is just a different set of symbols than what we normally see.  We recognize the names of God fairly quickly and take the others to be the names of places. [I have it in two of the other Bible programs that I sometimes use.]

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS