In defense of Lexham Context Commentary - a rant and a reason to buy it

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 7:57 PM

Unfortunately, Nathan, my only experience with what seminary students are taught is at GTU Berkeley. So I don't know what background I should assume you already have.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1967
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 8:19 PM

MJ. Smith:

Unfortunately, Nathan, my only experience with what seminary students are taught is at GTU Berkeley. So I don't know what background I should assume you already have.

Thanks for the info. In terms of some background, I've read many of the major OT/NT theologies (Eichrodt, Von Rad, Bultmann, Caird/Hurst, Ladd, Childs, Dempster, Martens, Baker). I've also read Blaising/Bock. My PhD supervisor is Dr. Blaising, and my primary research interests are in Redemptive Kingdom Theology and doing some of the research in Progressive Dispensationalism that Dr. Blaising has researched. My previous research seminar covered Dumbrell and the Abrahamic Covenant. In terms of types of Biblical Theology, it is mainly a canonical narrative salvation historical Biblical Theology that'd I'd be performing research in (in Klink and Lockett's work, it would be types 2-4 that I would primarily be working in).

I'm not sure if that helps or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Nathan Parker

Posts 4847
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 2:50 AM

MJ. Smith:

David Paul:
Sorry, MJ, but this is PURE ASSUMPTION on your part.

'Fraid not but I've learned not to get drawn into such discussions with you ... have to go too far back for common assumptions to be done in the forum setting.

Okaaaaay...so if the idea of "Holy Spirit" is anachronous to Gen. 1:1, and the "Spirit of God" is clearly mentioned in Gen. 1:2, it sounds like you're suggesting the Spirit of God "isn't holy"???

Posts 3505
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 3:55 AM

David Paul:
it sounds like you're suggesting the Spirit of God "isn't holy"???

It sounds like you're not respecting MJ's desire not to get drawn into a discussion with you.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 10651
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 6:02 AM

David Paul:
sounds like you're suggesting the Spirit of God "isn't holy"

Excellent paper-tiger shooting. Always best not to mess up the pelt.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 10651
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 6:05 AM

Nathan Parker:
I'm not sure if that helps or not

Just smiling, but it seems Logosians can end up almost 180 degrees opposite (and no offense). A book on the background to Shakespeare readings would presume familiarity with Shakespeare readings, I'd think.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 4847
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 12:45 PM

PetahChristian:

David Paul:

It sounds like you're not respecting MJ's desire not to get drawn into a discussion with you.

I'm not really looking for a discussion, but I am nonplussed by a juxtaposition that seems contradictory. Just wondering if there is a credible explanation.

Posts 397
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 1:51 PM

Let's leave it at that, please. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 346
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 1:29 AM

PetahChristian:

David Paul:

πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 2:09 AM

Nathan Parker:
In terms of types of Biblical Theology, it is mainly a canonical narrative salvation historical Biblical Theology that'd I'd be performing research

I suspect this would not be useful to you ... but then I don't generally qualify theology as Biblical or historical, think of them as being redundant to theology as theology. I do make a distinction for liturgical theology in contrast to theology of liturgy. Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1967
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 6:27 PM

MJ. Smith:

Nathan Parker:
In terms of types of Biblical Theology, it is mainly a canonical narrative salvation historical Biblical Theology that'd I'd be performing research

I suspect this would not be useful to you ... but then I don't generally qualify theology as Biblical or historical, think of them as being redundant to theology as theology. I do make a distinction for liturgical theology in contrast to theology of liturgy. Wink

Sounds good. I'll hold off for now. If it makes it into L9 and included in a package I'd consider upgrading to, then great. In the meantime, I'll use other resources I have instead of investing in this at the moment.

Nathan Parker

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS