My Library of Over 5000 Books

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 176
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 12 2020 2:53 AM

Hi folks

When I open my library and choose a particular book (could be any book) I get the following message:-

"This resource is not currently available on this device but here is a preview....". Also I'm given the option of "DOWNLOAD NOW". What has happened to my library as I have never encountered this before. Looks as if at startup the program is not downloading my library. Can anyone tell me/show me how to rectify this problem? Thanks so much.

Gerald

Posts 22384
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 3:12 AM

It looks as though you are not alone - please see https://community.logos.com/forums/t/188301.aspx 

I don't know what is going on but I wonder if it is a bug somewhere - even though only seeming to affect some people.

Does MJ's suggestion in that other thread help?

Posts 440
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 4:29 AM

Well in my case, it does that because I have intentionally made most of my books only available online to save space on my machine. As such I only download books as I need them.

Posts 28129
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 4:46 AM

Gerald Rodgers:
"This resource is not currently available on this device but here is a preview....". Also I'm given the option of "DOWNLOAD NOW". What has happened to my library as I have never encountered this before.

For MANY years a large number of users requested the ability to pick and choose which resources downloaded without having to "hide" resources. Previously it was an all or nothing proposition. If you were to "hide" a book, it would be unavailable on all devices, which was not what the users were trying to accomplish. 

What you are seeing is some of the fruit of that change. Either there is a bug OR you choose the wrong setting when you first installed. 

Gerald Rodgers:
Can anyone tell me/show me how to rectify this problem?

There are two parts to this. 

1. You will want to go to your library and navigate to the "not on this device" facet. You will select all of the resources you want downloaded, right click, and choose "download." That will help with your immediate problem. 

2. For the big picture, you are going to need to go into settings and make sure you have the behavior YOU WANT selected. If you want a "skinny" installation where only choice books are downloaded, you would want different settings than someone who wants ALL of their books to always download. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 176
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 5:18 AM

Hi JT

Thanks for your quick reply. Just a couple of points. The first is that I have been a Logos user since the program first started which is quite sometime. It is only recently the problem with downloading showed itself for the very first time. Everything was working perfectly before and it may have been the case that a recent update caused the problem.

You gave me 2 points to consider and when I went into my library I couldn't turn up settings with reference to "not on this device" and also the settings for download behaviour you speak of. Can you help me further with these points please? Thanks so much.

Kind regards

Gerald

Posts 25400
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 6:13 AM

Gerald Rodgers:
You gave me 2 points to consider and when I went into my library I couldn't turn up settings with reference to "not on this device"

Click to show what books are not on your device.

Gerald Rodgers:
and also the settings for download behaviour you speak of.

You can only select how much to download during Installation i.e. Recommended (= skinny) or Everything. If you selected Recommended, you have to download manually as indicated above.

Note that you should set Download New Resources = YES In Tools > Program Settings.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 176
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 7:12 AM

Hi

Thanks again for your reply. When I click on the box you suggest I simply get a detailed list of the books of the Bible because the box says it opens/closes table of contents. Just for you info I'm using Logos ver 8.11 (8.11.0.0017) Hope this helps.

Gerald

Posts 22384
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 7:14 AM

Gerald Rodgers:
When I click on the box you suggest I simply get a detailed list of the books of the Bible because the box says it opens/closes table of contents

This sounds as though you are doing this in the resource itself as opposed to the Library pane as Dave suggested

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS