NET Bible notes, 2nd ed

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2892
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 24 2020 7:09 PM

Am I understanding correctly that the 2nd edition NET Bible notes are a separate purchase and not a free update to the first edition notes?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2020 8:10 PM

Yes. This is considered a "new" resource. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 623
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 25 2020 7:12 PM

It appears to me that the 2nd edition of notes is actually less notes. If I'm reading the link below correctly, 3,300 notes were eliminated because they too mundane.

https://netbible.com/changes/

Posts 749
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 26 2020 8:14 AM

Ted Weis:

It appears to me that the 2nd edition of notes is actually less notes. If I'm reading the link below correctly, 3,300 notes were eliminated because they too mundane.

We did delete about 3300 footnotes which were deemed unnecessary and superfluous such as “δε has not been translated” or “και has not been translated due to differences in Greek and English style.” Some verses were changed and more notes were added. Please refer to the changes. With these tens of thousands of updates.................

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2020 6:41 AM

Ted Weis:

It seems the one improvement to the notes (apart from the removal of 3300 of them, if that is considered an improvement) was "Hebrew references in footnotes were corrected and standardized." That could be important to a number of people.

Posts 90
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2020 11:56 AM

For $15, this is an easy purchase. I have two copies of the 2nd edition, one hard back and the other leather. But the print is small for my eyes.With Logos on my iPad, I can read it well. And it sounds like the changes in the 2nd edition are an improvement worth paying for again.

Posts 2358
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2020 1:05 PM

I agree with Rick. The notes are nearly impossible for me without my glasses. Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 6855
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2020 4:19 PM

I liked the $7 and change price better.  Now it’s up to $14 and change.  I think I’ll skip it.

DAL

Posts 14
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 27 2020 11:07 PM

Agreed, I literally was going to order it for $7 and then came back the next day to pull the trigger and saw it’d doubled in price.  Skipping it now.

Posts 1109
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2020 2:20 AM

John:

Agreed, I literally was going to order it for $7 and then came back the next day to pull the trigger and saw it’d doubled in price.  Skipping it now.

Not sure I've seen this happen before. It shows the benefit of checking the Pre-Pubs daily and buying if a book seems of interest - and then reflecting later on whether we need it.

Posts 344
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2020 3:49 AM

Just a quick note:  I do have the 2nd ed. via a competing software company.  So far I like the update—though I don’t always agree w. Wallace et al. translation choices as applied to notorious textual variants (I have discussed this w. Dr. Wallace before as it relates to, e.g., I Timothy 3.16, John 1.18, etc.).  

Aside from this peripheral text issue—I absolutely love the NET & it really has become my go-to & favorite translation.

Posts 2466
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2020 6:35 AM

With Logos 9 almost around the corner it should be a clever strategy to delay the purchase and wait whether the NET2 will be included in some base package.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 90
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2020 8:53 AM

First, if the 2nd edition is worth $8, then its worth $15, so the extra $7 should not be a deal breaker. However, although I thought I paid $15 for it, I checked again and this is what is shows:

"You pre-ordered on 2/25/2020 Your current dynamic price is $7.99"

So perhaps the dynamic price is there for those of us who have the 1st edition.

Posts 14
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2020 9:02 AM

I just tried to preorder it and it showed 14.99, so I deleted it.  I own the first edition.

Posts 2358
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2020 10:56 AM

This is a core item and a real time saver. Most of us got the 1st edition as part of a Logos package for next to nothing. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3504
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2020 1:52 PM

I preordered it very early (as soon as I saw it)... it shows $7.99 for me.  I'd venture a guess that if you own the first it is cheaper or maybe Faithlife made a boo-boo and put it at $7.99 to start by accident

Posts 6855
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 28 2020 3:39 PM

Mattillo:

I preordered it very early (as soon as I saw it)... it shows $7.99 for me.  I'd venture a guess that if you own the first it is cheaper or maybe Faithlife made a boo-boo and put it at $7.99 to start by accident

Boo-boo it is because I own the first edition of both text and notes.

Posts 1440
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2020 5:47 AM

I own the first edition of both the Bible and the notes, so I placed a pre-order and checked the price.  Still came through as $14.99 for me, so owning the first edition didn't lower the price.  I'll probably cancel and wait to see if it's included in any Logos 9 packages.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS