NET Bible notes, 2nd ed

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2020 6:29 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
wait to see if it's included in any Logos 9 packages.

I've never been one to update for update sake. I don't update apps unless a security or desired new feature. I saw nothing on L8 worth interrupting  my workflow. I've no quarrel, NET cleaning up, but I like details. V1's fine, and maybe L9 will offer a decent search feature!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 4835
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2020 1:22 PM

Will this 2nd Edition OVERWRITE the 1st edition notes? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posts 25370
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2020 1:29 PM

David Paul:
Will this 2nd Edition OVERWRITE the 1st edition notes? Inquiring minds want to know.

No. It is a separate resource.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2020 6:14 PM

David Paul:

For clarification: Any type of update which requires an additional purchase would be a new resource and would not overwrite a previous one. Conversely, any update which would overwrite the previous version would not require a purchase and would be automatic. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 16
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2020 2:49 PM

Why didn't the NT translators add the much needed Biblical references that most translations have today? Why just have footnotes? 

Posts 2358
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2020 4:22 PM

Joseph Luna:

Why didn't the NT translators add the much needed Biblical references that most translations have today? Why just have footnotes? 

Cross-references are literally built into Logos and you have the marvelous New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge I hope. The NET Bible isn't meant to be a Swiss Army Knife for the Bible.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3504
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2020 6:13 AM

I'm confused about one thing... from what I can tell reading this link https://netbible.com/faq/ 

There has been text revised in the Bible as well.  Will these changes just be in the notes or will the actual NET Bible be updated as well?  I'm all in for the new notes but it'll be odd reading the first edition NET with second edition notes that don't fit.

Am I missing something?

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2020 7:06 AM

Mattillo:
Am I missing something?

Well, I think JT's right (above). You can mix and match with wild abandon.  Personally, I'd want to see the textual changes, but not the filtered notes.

Posts 4835
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2020 1:06 PM

Denise:

Mattillo:
Am I missing something?

Well, I think JT's right (above). You can mix and match with wild abandon.  Personally, I'd want to see the textual changes, but not the filtered notes.

Based on what I've heard about this "update" so far, I'm pretty sure I want no part of it. Reduction in notes sounds totally unappetizing, since the NET notes are the one thing that makes it a unique necessity among Bibles. On the other hand, I find the NET text to be nigh unto worthless, considering the committee gives every indication that they've never met an emendation they didn't like. Their alterations run the gamut from slight to incredibly drastic, and often even the drastic changes are based on questionable or tenuous concerns.

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2020 1:24 PM

David Paul:
the committee gives every indication that they've never met an emendation they didn't like.

Mmmm, good. Those tasty emendations with hot sauce are just the best.

More seriously (with a bit of emending humor), I like translation updates for my time-sorted text comparison. It's like sitting out on the plains, watching the herd slowly move to new grass. And like buffalo, a lone translation can suddenly wake up the herd.

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS