Facebook message when ordering a Logos product?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:21 AM

I just placed an order with Logos and noticed that, after I clicked to order it, the message below appeared in the bottom left corner of the screen saying that it was transferring data from www.facebook.com.

Can anyone help me understand why a Facebook message would appear after I clicked on a Logos link?

I have noticed this before but never bothered to follow it up but today I managed to do a quick screen capture of the message which I placed below so I thought I'd ask in the forums.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 7625
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:44 AM

Facebook just bought Faithlife so they own all your personal information now 😂😂😂 Nah, just kidding!

I’ll check out the sales and use my Lexham coupon and will report if I get the same message later.

DAL

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:54 AM

DAL:
I’ll check out the sales and use my Lexham coupon and will report if I get the same message later.

You just reminded me that I forgot to use my Lexham coupon in the order I just placed for Lexham books. Tongue Tied That is two months in a row now.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2643
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 6:01 AM

It's called a Facebook pixel.

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/952192354843755

FL likely uses it to evaluate their marketing on Facebook. Facebook tracks the links people click on their site anyway. But what they're really after are clicks that result in a lead (purchase, registration, or whatever the advertiser considers the goal of their campaign.)

Therefore, the advertiser or marketer creates these "pingbacks" to Facebook that lets them know that there has been a lead.

Benefit for the marketer: they can fine-tune their campaigns on Facebook to a great precision so that Facebook displays their ads to users that are extremely likely to result in a lead.

Benefit for Facebook: collect more data about us, and more data, and more data, and more data, so they make more money, money, money, money...

Therefore, guys, install anti tracking software. This is not conspiracy hysteria. It's real stuff.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1383
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 6:20 AM

Bruce Dunning:

DAL:

You just reminded me that I forgot to use my Lexham coupon in the order I just placed for Lexham books. Tongue Tied That is two months in a row now.

Contact customer service and get to add retrospectively this month. Doubt they could do for last month though.

Posts 7625
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 8:01 AM

No Facebook transferring data notice appeared, but I did get two great books: 1) The Ten Commandments and 2) The Apostle's Creed both by Lexham Press.  

Maybe it didn't appear because I checked out from the Lexham Press website, since the coupon won't work in the Logos website.  Or maybe it was just a temporary thing.  Oh well...

DAL

Posts 7625
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 8:05 AM

Bruce Dunning:

DAL:

Call sales and they might be able to give you 25% off the book you want.  I had already spent my coupon last month, but by calling I managed to get 25% off the Lexham Context Commentary.  It was better than waiting for this month's coupon and better than paying the full $99.99 for the set.  Nice little resource to jumpstart your devotional studies!

DAL

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 11:05 AM

DAL:
Call sales and they might be able to give you 25% off the book you want.

Thanks for suggesting this. I seldom do it but I called and asked this time and they were fine with it.

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 11:09 AM

Jan Krohn:

It's called a Facebook pixel.

https://www.facebook.com/business/help/952192354843755

FL likely uses it to evaluate their marketing on Facebook. Facebook tracks the links people click on their site anyway. But what they're really after are clicks that result in a lead (purchase, registration, or whatever the advertiser considers the goal of their campaign.)

Thanks. That was eye opening. I now see that Faithlife is probably using Faithlife Pixel. I think I'm okay with this but I'm not sure.

Posts 11310
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 11:41 AM

Bruce Dunning:
I'm okay with this but I'm not sure.

Ironically, we see very few adverts (except BSM!). A lot of sites now beg you to stop blocking, or try to switch you to their app. Even on TV, flip the channel or skips the commercials. A trash can next to the mailbox. Then there's Logos' blank popups. 

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2643
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 3 2020 12:28 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I think I'm okay with this but I'm not sure.

If it were only FL, I'd be okay with it too. But Facebook likely has a record of almost all sites we visit and key actions we perform on them. And Google too. And Amazon refuses to disclose the info what kind of data they collect (likely less though, since they don't provide pixels to developers).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS