Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 18664
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 10:19 PM

David Paul:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Another discussion option is Christian Discourse => https://www.christiandiscourse.net/

Is this the same Christian Discourse as was originally created a few years back and was shuttered for some time, or is it "a new creation"? I submitted a number of posts to the first iteration and I am still quite salty about having those ripped away without any warning. I was intending to use a couple of the threads as the basis for a book.

Thread => Faithlife: Need for Help at ChristianDiscourse mentions Internet Archive being used to retrieve original Christian Discourse rules for use on "a new creation"

Currently, the original christiandiscourse.com (created by Faithlife) redirects to faithlife.com

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 30210
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 10:52 PM

The Wayback machine is at web.archive.org

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5005
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 2:19 PM

I think that the information that has come to light in this thread sheds some light, or at least broadens the conversation, related to this topic. Turns out that the word "Lord" ('Aadhohn) has the same sort of construction issues (and subsequent concerns) as ':Elohhiym. I've never heard anyone ever raise a peep about this issue in relation to 'aadhohn.

Posts 5005
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 3:10 PM

From TWOT:

When 'ādôn appears in the special plural form, with a first common singular pronominal suffix ('ădōnā-y), it always refers to God. It appears in this form more than three hundred times, mostly in Psalms, Lamentations, and the latter prophets. Just as 'ĕlōhı̂m (God) is plural in Hebrew, so this word might also be called an intensive plural or plural of majesty. Only rarely is the suffix translated (cf. Gen 18:3; Isa 21:8; Ps 16:2).

Harris, R. L., Harris, R. L., Archer, G. L., & Waltke, B. K. (1999, c1980). Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (electronic ed.) (013). Chicago: Moody Press.

Odd that it almost never gets mentioned.

Posts 57
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 4:35 PM

Not to let the question get in the way of a good debate, but isn't this a great time for clause search? Just find the places where the verb is singular and the lemma is el (there are 45), sort by subject sense and see that the answer is "no." There is no place in the OT where elohim is used with a singular verb of someone other than God. 

https://ref.ly/logos4/Search?kind=ClauseSearch&q=verb-morph%3aV%3f%3f%3f%3fS+subject-lemma%3a%D7%90%D6%B5%D7%9C.5+&match=stem&in=raw%3aSingle%7CResourceId%3dLLS%3aLHB 

Posts 1
Dale Moreau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 4:53 PM

Psalm 82:1, 6. Both verses refer to the singular and the plural. The Psalmist is make a distinction between the gods (Elohim) of the divine council, the sons of the Most High and God (Elohim). I hope this helps. 

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS