To increase speed, eliminate collection rules. That is all.

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2320
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 5:45 AM

I am not sure about this, however, I do suggest you do not always have all of them turned on in all resources. What I do is go the the visual filters drop down and then select each filter and click on the dropdown arrow on the right and remove it from all resources. I then open the resources I want it to show up in and select it. It is a matter of managing them rather than eliminating them. See screenshot below:

Other may offer an opinion as to whether having them slows things down, but my experience is they need to be managed.

Posts 876
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 5:57 AM

Nick Steffen:

I understand this is not news to most of you, but my system sped up dramatically after eliminating all of my collection rules. If Logos/Verbum appears slow to you, please try this. 

Before you delete a lot of collections, please back them up (e.g., copy the rules into a Word document). A while back, I deleted lots and lots of collections in the hope to speed up my system, but it did not help.

Posts 559
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 6:04 AM

Excellent safety tip, Armin, and good practice in any case. Thank you for adding it here. 

Posts 8258
LogosEmployee

PL:

I also heard that Visual Filters may also slow down Logos. Is that true? If so, should we remove most of them as well? Can anyone confirm?

The problem is with Visual Filter Documents, i.e., applying search-based visual filters to resources. Any VF documents that are applicable to the a resource will run when that resource is opened, whether or not they are checked on the VF menu in the resource (and whether or not they even appear on the VF menu).

Deleting them will generally speed things up, but I've also posted some workarounds here if you don't want to have to delete a document (and lose the effort put into building it): https://community.logos.com/forums/p/133323/866528.aspx#866528 https://community.logos.com/forums/p/131918/866408.aspx#866408

Posts 408
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 1:57 PM

You can add your bible to a Collection, along with one other bible you will not use (keeps the filter from resetting if I recall correctily), then apply all the visual filters to that collection.

When you don't want the visual filters applied to your bible, you just have to remove your bible from the collection. which saves going into each filter to change it.

Posts 3
Marla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 9:51 AM

What is the easiest way to copy all of my collection rules, so I can put them into a Word document for safekeeping?  I'm brand new to Logos, so I'm working on establishing my collections.  

Posts 3906
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 10:02 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

PL:

I also heard that Visual Filters may also slow down Logos. Is that true? If so, should we remove most of them as well? Can anyone confirm?

The problem is with Visual Filter Documents, i.e., applying search-based visual filters to resources. Any VF documents that are applicable to the a resource will run when that resource is opened, whether or not they are checked on the VF menu in the resource (and whether or not they even appear on the VF menu).

Deleting them will generally speed things up, but I've also posted some workarounds here if you don't want to have to delete a document (and lose the effort put into building it): https://community.logos.com/forums/p/133323/866528.aspx#866528 https://community.logos.com/forums/p/131918/866408.aspx#866408

Is it possible to change this?  Maybe change the code to have them run when only activated?  Just curious.  I don't have many visual filters but opening things usually goes pretty quick on my mac.  It is when I click close all that I have to wait for it to respond (look at the rainbow circle for about 8-15 seconds).

Posts 25746
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 24 2020 2:01 PM

Welcome Marla

Marla:
What is the easiest way to copy all of my collection rules, so I can put them into a Word document for safekeeping?

You can copy/paste the collection Name and the Rule. If you have resources in Plus and Minus now is the time to tag them, so they can be part of the Rule e.g. instead of Plus resources, add OR mytag:plus to the Rule, else add ANDNOT mytag:minus. Obviously, the tag name would have to be different in each collection.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3
Marla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2020 4:50 PM

When I attempt to copy my expository commentary rule (it's long), so I can paste it into a Word document, I do so by L-clicking on my mouse, then dragging it to the right in order to highlight the rule.  Because the rule is long, I'm dragging my mouse to the right for a long, long time in order to highlight the entire rule. Is there a shortcut or quicker way to copy a longer rule, or is this the only method available?  Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help!

Posts 3708
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2020 4:59 PM

Not necessary to drag the mouse cursor to make your selection. Ctrl-A should select everything for you.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 3
Marla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2020 7:35 PM

I had forgotten about the Ctrl-A shortcut to copy text, so you gave me exactly what I needed.  THANKS!

Posts 1096
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2020 3:09 PM

The problem is with Visual Filter Documents, i.e., applying search-based visual filters to resources.

Are there any type of user created Visual Filters that are not documents? I thought all user created visual filters are documents. Are you distinguishing use created Visual Filters from built-in ones, such as Bible Text Only, Discourse Features, etc.

Posts 8258
LogosEmployee

Harry Hahne:

The problem is with Visual Filter Documents, i.e., applying search-based visual filters to resources.

Are there any type of user created Visual Filters that are not documents? I thought all user created visual filters are documents. Are you distinguishing use created Visual Filters from built-in ones, such as Bible Text Only, Discourse Features, etc.

Yes, I was using "Visual Filter Documents" as a synonym for "user-created Visual Filters", and trying to be clear that I was distinguishing them from the built-in Visual Filters (that you mentioned).

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS