Summa Theologica (Latin) missing footnotes

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 52
LW | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 16 2020 2:11 PM

Faithlife, you make a wonderful product with wonderful resources. I am very grateful for this, and for the sales and free books! One of the items I bought is the Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas, Latin, which according to the page previews has significant footnotes (screenshot attached). I'm having trouble finding these footnotes in the program; are they there? If not, are they to come? Thanks!

https://www.logos.com/images/PageScans/4245pages/01/4245_01_05.jpg

Posts 822
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 2:35 PM

Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner to get the drop down menu for choosing your options.

Posts 28729
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 3:21 PM

to have them display on the page, the panel menu must:

1. have columns set to 1 or more ... footnotes don't show in scrolling mode (columns none)

2. Have show footnotes set (checked)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10555
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 4:00 PM

I think you both explain to LW how the footnotes are to be turned on in Logos / Verbum. However, I checked the resource and it seems he is right: while the preview pages - on the English / Latin bundle of ST - show footnotes on the printed page (and also a 'conclusio' paragraph in the text of the first question), the Logos resource doesn't have them. The English and the Latin editions flow smoothly together and the text seems to be translated 1:1 - maybe the screenshots were simply taken from a slightly different edition (the product page of the bundle says they are from the same publisher as the English version, whereas the product page of the Latin edition and the resource itself say it's from an Italian publisher).

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 28729
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 4:45 PM

2. PRAETEREA. Augustinus dicit in libro de utilitate credendi (cap. 3. cir. princ.), quod Scriptura, quae testamentum vetus vocatur, quadrifariam traditur, scil. secundum historiam, secundum aetiologiam, secundum analogiam, secundum allegoriam. Quae quidem quatuor a quatuor praedictis videntur esse aliena omnino. Non igitur conveniens videtur, quod eadem litera

You are right. Annotation appears to be inline rather than footnote in format - see "cap.3. cir. princ" above ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 52
LW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 6:31 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I realized that there were inline citations, which are good, but my question was about the commentary footnotes a the bottom of the page, where my red arrow points in the screenshot. Thanks to those who told me how to find the check box for showing footnotes. But I think NB.Mick has best understood my question. I suspect you're right, NB, about the screenshot being taken from a different version of the text. Because - wow! - that whole "Conclusio..." paragraph shown in the screenshot isn't even there in Logos/Verbum! Interestingly, it isn't in my printed copy of the Summa (Biblioteca de Autores Cristianos: Madrid, 1951) either. So I suppose it's unlikely that we'll be getting the footnote commentary, but it would be great if a Faithlife representative would speak to the possibility, given that it was advertised in the sample page photos, and it would be very nice to have.

Posts 28729
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 6:44 PM

Perhaps a new thread to the ATTN: Kyle would get a FL response more quickly. (Monday)

Posts 1226
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 10:57 AM

The preview on logos.com is incorrect. It's using a different version of the resource. I'll work with that team to get the webpage updated.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS