Library arrangement

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 8:45 AM

Bohuslav: have you ever heard of Haus Edelweis in Austria?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 8:47 AM

JackCaviness:

Daniel DeVilder:

… I am wondering if I can make a tool bar that has different colored books, with each book opening up a new PRA (technical, homiletic, Bible Dictionary, etc.)

Daniel

To accomplish this, you first need a commentary at the top of each PRA that covers the entire Bible. Then create a custom toolbar icon to open that book. Label it according to the PRA (technical, homiletic, Bible Dictionary, etc.). When you click the icon, the book opens to the current text. Then you can use the arrow keys to navigate through the PRA.

Jack

Thanks Jack that is what I was thinking about.  Have you done that yet?  I have only a Bible and a technical commentary one set up, but not the whole enchilada yet.

Posts 10791
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 9:15 AM

Daniel DeVilder:
Thanks Jack that is what I was thinking about.  Have you done that yet?  I have only a Bible and a technical commentary one set up, but not the whole enchilada yet.

Daniel

Yes. I have 5 commentary PRAs: Critical, Exegetical, Expositional, Outline, and Study Notes. This may be overkill, but it suits my study method.

Jack

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 9:42 AM

JackCaviness:

Yes. I have 5 commentary PRAs: Critical, Exegetical, Expositional, Outline, and Study Notes. This may be overkill, but it suits my study method.

Jack

Sounds good to me!  Problem I have is knowing exactly where to put some of them.  I suppose "critical" would be easiest for me: those ones that I go numb trying to read.  Stick out tongue Thanks for you input.  I got this idea from Morris Proctor, but never put it into practice.  Nice to see how you have broken it down too.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 9:53 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Are you sure that isn't Haus Wein?  I'll drink to that !

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10791
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:17 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Sounds good to me!  Problem I have is knowing exactly where to put some of them.  I suppose "critical" would be easiest for me: those ones that I go numb trying to read.  Stick out tongue Thanks for you input.  I got this idea from Morris Proctor, but never put it into practice.  Nice to see how you have broken it down too.

Daniel

I did get the idea from Morris Proctor in the Camp Logos II DVD. Critical commentaries to me are those that deal with the Language and textual issues. UBS Handbooks, K&D, NIGTC, and the like. In the Exegetical group, I put those that are a little less technical, but still deal with the language: Bible Knowledge at the top because it covers the entire Bible in one volume, Baker NTC, NAC, Pulpit, International Theological, Edward Young, etc. Expositional is what Morris called "Devotional" and includes MacArthur, Wiersbe, McGee, and anything else that looks like a collection of sermons. I put McGee first because he covers the entire Bible in one volume.

It is tedious work, but the final product makes study flow work more smoothly for me.

Jack

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:32 AM

George Somsel:

Somsel, you are a little rebel rouser!  Devil Wink

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:35 AM

JackCaviness:

It is tedious work, but the final product makes study flow work more smoothly for me.

Jack

Thanks again.  Have you put your books into collections yet?  I did get "quick files" from him.  I'd probably tweak them, but at least something is already done.  However, I was wondering: are all the Gold books already in collections, if you have QFI/II?  I am working through my list slowly, actually starting with some recent pre-pub downloads.  Incidentally, was a bit surprised that the Baker NT set was only indexed by page.  Same for the "Perspectives" series.  Glad, i have them, but I wish more publishers would see the value in making their product top notch searchable.  Kingdom issue, for goodness sake!  Smile

Posts 10791
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:54 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

JackCaviness:

Jack

Thanks again.  Have you put your books into collections yet?  I did get "quick files" from him.  I'd probably tweak them, but at least something is already done.  However, I was wondering: are all the Gold books already in collections, if you have QFI/II?  I am working through my list slowly, actually starting with some recent pre-pub downloads.  Incidentally, was a bit surprised that the Baker NT set was only indexed by page.  Same for the "Perspectives" series.  Glad, i have them, but I wish more publishers would see the value in making their product top notch searchable.  Kingdom issue, for goodness sake!  Smile

Daniel

Which Baker NT set do you have in mind here? The Commentary Set is indeed indexed by Bible and Topic as well as Page. I do have several commentaries that are not indexed by Bible reference, and they therefore get much less use than they deserve.

I try to keep all my resources in at least one collection. I did not get "quick files" because I had already made my own collections, which will probably suit no one by me.

Jack

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 11:56 AM

JackCaviness:
Which Baker NT set do you have in mind here?

I am referring to a recent pre-pub now published.  It wasn't a commentary set, it was a New Testament Studies collection, or something: NT Wright on the gospel of Judas, and various books by witherington III etc.  I wouldn't expect them to be versified, but at least topically arranged.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2009 5:02 PM

Bob Pritchett:
It's rare that you can make everyone happy, but after reading this list of ideas for library searching, visual and textual navigation, and collection management, I think I can say that the next version of Logos will -- for this area at least -- make you all very, very happy. :-)
does that include Mac users too Bob??? I hope Smile

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 3:47 AM
Daniel DeVilder:

Daniel DeVilder:

George Somsel:

Somsel, you are a little rebel rouser!  Devil Wink

No I haven't been to Edelweis. Am I right it is some kind of Hotel in the Alps?

I know nothing also about your (George) Haus Wein and I lucky to be totally ignorant of the English idiom you use in your last sentence Wink

We have however IMHO much better wine in South of Moravia than Austria has. Of course I would not fight any opposite opinions, and really don't want to start discussion here on the subject. Hope you agree. Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 3:51 AM

Daniel DeVilder:
I did get "quick files" from him.  I'd probably tweak them, but at least something is already done. 

DO you know guys were you can get those "quick files"? Is it only at Morris Proctor's seminars? Or on his blog? I would like to look at them if they are some example PRA of commnetaries. Thank you.

Bohuslav

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 6:21 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
DO you know guys were you can get those "quick files"? Is it only at Morris Proctor's seminars? Or on his blog? I would like to look at them if they are some example PRA of commnetaries.

Morris has some that can be downloaded for free and has others that he sells on a CD

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 6:22 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
DO you know guys were you can get those "quick files"? Is it only at Morris Proctor's seminars? Or on his blog? I would like to look at them if they are some example PRA of commnetaries

http://www.mpseminars.com/index.cfm/PageID/1172/index.html

The web site address got lost on the previous post. This shows the files that Morris has for download and for sale.

Posts 638
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 8:59 AM

I would like to be able to have something in my workspace and then when I shut down Logos, have it maintained just like I left it, so that when I restart Logos, my last used workspace would already be there, (just like I left it). I also use WORDsearch and it has that capability. There is nothing more frustrating to me, than to spend a lot of time working (and not wanting to bookmark everything on the workspace) only to have it disappear because of (in our area of the country) a power outage or other "disaster" like accidentally hitting the wrong button and closing the workspace.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 9:32 AM

Bill Shewmaker:

I would like to be able to have something in my workspace and then when I shut down Logos, have it maintained just like I left it, so that when I restart Logos, my last used workspace would already be there, (just like I left it). I also use WORDsearch and it has that capability. There is nothing more frustrating to me, than to spend a lot of time working (and not wanting to bookmark everything on the workspace) only to have it disappear because of (in our area of the country) a power outage or other "disaster" like accidentally hitting the wrong button and closing the workspace.

I can't tell you what to do about "fumble-fingers", but I would suggest that you get a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) which is basically a battery that you run off and which is recharged as you use your computer.  When the power is interrupted, you then have the opportunity to save your work and shut down gracefully.  Don't even consider a surge protector.  Get a UPS.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 11:58 AM

Wayne W Penner:

http://www.mpseminars.com/index.cfm/PageID/1172/index.html

The web site address got lost on the previous post. This shows the files that Morris has for download and for sale.

Thank you guys for your advice. Now I see. Have a nice day.

Bohuslav

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 12:08 PM

Bill Shewmaker:
I would like to be able to have something in my workspace and then when I shut down Logos, have it maintained just like I left it, so that when I restart Logos, my last used workspace would already be there, (just like I left it).

You can go in Options | General | At Startup  and click "Restore Desktop to Last Session" option and your workspace will be at what you left it with last time. The problem is, if I am correct, you can use this option or some other workspace. We are not able to have, let's say, Workspace for Reading Books and have this option there, while other workspaces keeping their saved form manually.

Bohuslav

Posts 638
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 7:40 AM

Thanks Goerge. I have a UPS and it has saved me several times. The "fumble-fingers" is just one of the things I'll have to live with...actually, I have two different laptops, 1 is a 17" with full keyboard and number pad and the other is a smaller 15.4" and the keyboards are just enough different that it sometimes takes me a few minutes to get the fingers "thinking" about which keyboard they are on.

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS