Library arrangement

Page 3 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 55 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 636
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 7:44 AM

Thanks Bohuslav. I sometimes forget that we still have that option. I remember the "good old days" in college/seminary when we typed on paper. I would be working on one project and then another was supposed to be done for the next day. Take paper out of the typewriter and work on the new project and then try to re-align the paper from the first project....I guess I shouldn't complain too much about having to use a few extra keystrokes to bring up a previous study session.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 8:00 AM

Bill Shewmaker:

Thanks Goerge. I have a UPS and it has saved me several times. The "fumble-fingers" is just one of the things I'll have to live with...actually, I have two different laptops, 1 is a 17" with full keyboard and number pad and the other is a smaller 15.4" and the keyboards are just enough different that it sometimes takes me a few minutes to get the fingers "thinking" about which keyboard they are on.

I know what you mean about getting used to keyboards.  It apparently takes me a bit longer than you, however, since a "few minutes" really doesn't do the job.  I changed from a desktop to a laptop and got a 17" laptop since it has a fairly normal keyboard.  Even so after several months I'm still getting used to some of the quirks of this keyboard.  It's particularly the keys that used to be in a section between the alpha keyboard and the numeric keypad that are a problem.  This involves things such as the "insert" key so that when reaching for the "delete" key I'll hit it instead then later find that, rather than inserting words in a sentence, I'm typing over what is already there.  Also, the half-size arrow keys are something of a problem.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 9:51 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
No I haven't been to Edelweis. Am I right it is some kind of Hotel in the Alps?

Sorry, you are NOT right!  Wink.  It IS a famous house, but for about 4 decades are so has been used for the Lord's work.  During the "Cold War" era, (like when I lived in Germany) it was a base of operations for smuggling Bibles, etc.  Now (probably among other things) it is a training facility and seminary for pastors, most of whom are from Eastern European countries.  http://www.tcmi.org/  I have a friend who regularly goes there to teach.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 11:10 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Sorry, you are NOT right!  Wink.  It IS a famous house, but for about 4 decades are so has been used for the Lord's work.  During the "Cold War" era, (like when I lived in Germany) it was a base of operations for smuggling Bibles, etc.  Now (probably among other things) it is a training facility and seminary for pastors, most of whom are from Eastern European countries.  http://www.tcmi.org/  I have a friend who regularly goes there to teach.

Aha, that sounds really interesting because I had been involved a lot in the process of distribution of Bibles and also some other books which we translated to Czech and then they had been printed in the West and brought back in thousands of copies by young western Christians. It had been really great blessing to us behind the Iron Curtain.The thing was, not to know too much. Everybody who had been involved knew just his piece of responsibility. Nice to hear about that House Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 636
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2009 8:23 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Daniel, are you related to a David DeVilder? He was a missionary in Germany in the '70's+

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2009 9:37 AM

Bill Shewmaker:

Daniel, are you related to a David DeVilder? He was a missionary in Germany in the '70's+

He's my dad.

Posts 636
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 31 2009 7:35 AM

Daniel DeVilder:

Bill Shewmaker:

He's my dad.

I thought that was the case. I remember hearing him talk at CCCB during one of his visits to the campus and I saw him again about a year and a half ago at our Homecoming. Anyway...keep the Good News flowing. Thanks for the input to Logos.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 31 2009 7:47 AM

Bill Shewmaker:
I thought that was the case. I remember hearing him talk at CCCB during one of his visits to the campus and I saw him again about a year and a half ago at our Homecoming.

small world!  i can remember living in Moberly when I was about 2 or 3.  And dad preached/interned at  a small church in Leonard.  My youngest sis just finished up some classes there a year ago (and did a year internship in Germany in 08/09--and SHE was born after we moved back to the States).  All the best to you.

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2009 8:43 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

I have been thinking many times about what would be better way to keep track of all the resources we have in Logos Library. When it comes to not hundreds but thousands of resources, how can we keep track of what we have. What I really like to do with my paper books is just to go trough the book-shelves and look through it to find something I need. I knew it was there SmileThen I grab a pile of books and have them on my desk for days, than I change them for some other. I am reading 10 books at the same time (you understand what I mean). I like to have them more at hand in my Logos. I want them to stay opened where I left them, if it is not a reference book.

Thinking about the new version of Logos, I am really curious how the matter will be dealt with there. Humans are visual beings. I would really appreciate if the library would be more visual. I like the way you can organize your music in iTunes or Windows Media Player (please don't start discuss here which of those two is better). Can we have that flexibility in organizing our library? I know we have collections. But what about tagging, stars 1 through 5 for the best commentaries, books etc. I am not able to say how it should be, I just know it would be great to have those tools we use in organizing the pictures and music also available in Logos.

What you think about that? Logos, do you plan something like that in version 4?

Until Logos gives you the features you are looking for, this is what I have done.
I created a separate "Curently Reading" workspace with all my current reading books opened, when the workspace is closed the  books remain at the place where I left off. As far as organizing the books, I have created collections of all different varieties and categories (this took lots of time given the number of books in my library, but it also made me more aware of what I did have). Everytime I purchase a new book I make sure to include it into all the collections that it would apply to. To see the books and descriptions of all my current resources I run the Bibliography (Tools, Library Management, Bibliography) and print it to a PDF file for easy reference in the future. Being visual I create the Bibliography in the Catalog Style with covers. This helps me to see the books that I have and what I might like to read further. I have even created a workspace for books of interest that will eventually end up in my currently reading workspace when I can get to them.

I learned much about the workspaces, collections and organizing from the mpSeminars Camp 2 DVD which is currently on sale on the www.mpseminars.com website (I purchased it at the full price and still consider the material very much worth it). I highly recommend this DVD to everyone who has Logos. It really shows you features that you are probably totaly unaware of, and how to use them to the best advantage. Also the Quick Files Level I and II are an affordable $10 each and they have many workspaces and toolbars already created for you. A great timesaver.
When you have made a large investment into the Logos software, knowing how to use all of it's features really unlocks the amazing power of this software and make me appreciate it all the more.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2009 1:58 PM

Praiser:
When you have made a large investment into the Logos software, knowing how to use all of it's features really unlocks the amazing power of this software and make me appreciate it all the more.

Thank you for all your advice. Yes I came to the same solution. I created the BookReading workspace, only I did not know the books stay in the page where you leave them. Guys here on the forum helped me to create a simple script for the icon to save the workspace before I leave it. But your suggestion looks really interesting. I need to try that.

I still hope however to see much better solution in the version 4 to have a real Reading Profile or Interface.

EDITED:  Well, I tried to open books on a certain page and than close the workspace and re-open it and it doesn't come to the last opened page. It gets to the saved workspace page. Am I not understanding something correctly?

Bohuslav

Posts 26012
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 13 2009 4:28 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Well, I tried to open books on a certain page and than close the workspace and re-open it and it doesn't come to the last opened page. It gets to the saved workspace page.

Save the workspace before exiting.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 9:46 AM

Bob Pritchett:

It's rare that you can make everyone happy, but after reading this list of ideas for library searching, visual and textual navigation, and collection management, I think I can say that the next version of Logos will -- for this area at least -- make you all very, very happy. :-)

YES,  BOB,

We are happy.  Happy with the library organizing options,  Happy with the book descriptions, VERY happy with the book covers.

Not only happy with the library options but I am happy with search speeds, I am happy with the Interlinears (sorry, George), I am happy to have instructional videos on Youtube. I have even grown to like the home page. It serves as an auto-pilot untill I have learned the many powerful tweaking options of Version 4.

I look forward to Camp Logos in January.  Morris is having to fight Logos for my last few dollars. Confused

This is a wonderful new chapter in my studies.  Thank you!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 11:03 AM

Matthew C Jones:
I am happy with the Interlinears (sorry, George),

A little testimony from a relatively new member of b-greek

I have a confession to make: I own an interlinear.  It’s never helped me much,
and recently a Reader’s Edition and a Diglot have been significantly more useful. 
Perhaps my experiences will be of use to other intermediate learners.

When I went to university to study Mathematics, I had two solid years of high
school Attic Greek inside me.  I bought a Greek NT and found it very heavy going. 
The only assisted version (alias dumbed-down version) available in the 1960s was
the interlinear.  I bought the KJV-based “Englishman’s Greek New Testament” …
and found that I could not avoid reading the English line as well as the Greek. 
I was learning the background to the KJV’s translation decisions, but I was not
exercising my Greek—at all

So the question is "Do you want to understand the original or do you want to PRETEND that you understand the original?"

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 16
Christian Girl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 10:24 PM

Totally need a better library organization. I have a lot of trouble finding anything and it's difficutl how you can't sort anything well. Yes

Posts 10788
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 2:39 AM

You might try starting a new thread with a description of your problems. This post to a 3-year-old thread is unlikely to get proper attention. There are plenty of people willing to assist you, but only if they see your request.

Posts 11118
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 6:12 AM

Reformed Girl:

Totally need a better library organization. I have a lot of trouble finding anything and it's difficutl how you can't sort anything well. Yes

While there's always room for improving Logos' features (e.g. show the library in a tree structure) I think the features for search and sort are very well developed - actually people dream of having these features in new-developed functionalities such as the PB tool or in the new faithlife website. 

A very good start is the Logos wiki, which will link you to instructional material (including free training videos) and which contains pages where Logos is explained with screenshots and examples. Make sure to visit the page for the Library which explains how to find things in your library and how to filter, sort and group ressources.

Alternatively, the idea is good to have a thread were you tell more about your problems: what base package do you have, which resources you think you should be able to find and can't, how you'd like to sort your library etc. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 3 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS