Could we get some works by lay theologian William Stringfellow?

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Posts 19040
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 3 2020 3:22 AM

I just became aware of him through a quote someone posted that is relevant to what's been going on in the US lately.

"The monstrous American heresy is in thinking that the whole drama of history takes place between God and humanity. But the truth, biblically and theologically and empirically, is quite otherwise: The drama of this history takes place amongst God and humanity and the principalities and powers, the great institutions and ideologies active in the world. It is the corruption and shallowness of humanism which beguiles Jew or Christian into believing that human beings are masters of institution or ideology. Or to put it differently, racism is not an evil in human hearts or minds; racism is a principality, a demonic power, a representative image, an embodiment of death over which human beings have little or no control, but which works its awful influence in their lives." William Stringfellow, 1963

I was intrigued, so I looked into him. He was an American lay theologian, lawyer and social activist. He was active mostly during the 1960s and 1970s. Stringfellow gained a reputation as a strident critic of the social, military and economic policies of the US and as a tireless advocate for racial and social justice. That justice, he declared, could be realized only if it were pursued according to a serious understanding of the Bible and the Christian faith.

Here are some of what look like his most important books that I'd want to buy in a collection of his works if such were to become available. Most of them are not available in digital format yet, so it would be a long shot. Still, I can hope.

• My People Is the Enemy, New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1964.
  • Free in Obedience: The Radical Christian Life, New York, NY: Seabury Press, 1964.
  • Dissenter in a Great Society, New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1966.
  • Count It All Joy, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1967.
  • Imposters of God: Inquiries into Favorite Idols, Washington, DC: Witness Books, 1969.
  • An Ethic for Christians and Other Aliens in a Strange Land, Waco, TX: Word, 1973.
  • Instead of Death, 2nd Edition, New York, NY: Seabury Press, 1976.
  • Conscience and Obedience, Waco, TX: Word, 1977.
  • A Simplicity of Faith: My Experience in Mourning, Nashville, TN: Abingdon, 1982.
  • The Politics of Spirituality, Philadelphia, PA: Westminster Press, 1984.
  • A Private and Public Faith, Wipf & Stock, 1999. Available in Kindle format.
Posts 562
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2020 4:12 AM

I would heartily and hopefully support! 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS