I suggest Logos lowers prices.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 47
David Emme | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 15 2020 12:26 PM

First, I have 25,000 resources through Logos and buying since 2005.

I try to take advantage of every sell I can like this most recent 50% drop in expansion packages.

Dynamically full expansion normally 1000.00 and got it for 500 dollars.

Far too often it just seems that books coming in Logos is way too expensive.

I was looking at a few books about Bible and Epistemology.

That is the name of the book.

Logos has it for 24 dollars.

In Amazon you can purchase for 11.17

With Logos it is more than double the price.

Don’t get me wrong, Logos Bible Software is pretty awesome.

Lets face it, Logos does not teach you how to walk on water. Need to come down on some of their prices.

Posts 558
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 12:48 PM

There is an additional cost above the publishers price to produce a Logos resource.

Posts 276
JC54 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 12:54 PM

To me, de sales. But especially base packages and dynamic pricing, do the trick. My avarage price on a Logos resource is way below 1 dollar. And this includes stuff like HALOT, BDAG, 80 percent of WBC etc.

Beat that Amazon!

What I am saying: don't complain about the price for a individual resource, watch for sales, check your avarage price. And quite likely your library ends up being way, way, way, cheaper than the same library in almost any format from whatever publisher.

Sometimes you pay much, many times you pay little. In the end it works fine for me!

Posts 9395
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 1:03 PM

David Emme:
Need to come down on some of their prices.

There are many factors that control the pricing of Logos resources. Among them:

1. Licensing fees.

2. The cost to tag the resources.

3. The need to support software development.

4. The expected product sales.

When Logos produces an e-book, their costs to produce are very low, comparable to a Kindle book.

When Logos produces a Logos resource (not just an ebook) costs go up, depending on how much tagging the book receives, and how great a volume of sales Logos expects for that resource. It is this tagging that adds value to a Logos resource, allowing it to work interactively with the software to accomplish the things you and I like about Logos resources. If Logos expect a large number of sales the cost of tagging can be spread over all of those many resources, bring the cost per resource down. When Logos expects relatively small sales, they must distribute the cost over those fewer items, bring the cost up.

Logos does not charge for the basic software, You do pay for datasets and features, but routine development and maintenance costs must come from somewhere. That somewhere is product sales.

My own opinion is that Logos prices are very good for what I am getting. When resources go on sale they are an even better deal, and when base packages go on sale they often are an incredible deal. 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 665
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 1:36 PM

Mark Smith:
Need to come down on some of their prices

I'm a >very< long time user of Logos. I'd add several observations:

1. Logos supposedly adds a lot of work by indexing and tagging resources making them more valuable, yet time and time and time again I'm finding it harder to locate information in my library. Searching is far more complex and hard to understand and when very often, unless I'm doing some very specific word study, I give up and get what I need through searching the web. I just don't have time to unravel the complex search parameters or go to the forum and wait for help. If later on, I ask in the forums how to locate that information (because I know it's in my library somewhere!), I can get help and eventually find that I actually had it in my library, I just don't know all the magic that allowed to get at it. What I'm saying is that Logos is loosing ground in ease of searching and all this extra work you guys put in when you publish a resource is becoming less useful. I think you need to rethink how you categorize and search for resource content.

2. IMO the program has become 1) ridiculously complex ( just look at the mess the right click pop-up has become) and 2) you've added features that don't yield useful results. I've tried to use many of the newer guides and tools and flow charts to develop sermons and very seldom have they yielded good results. The point of Logos in my mind is to unlock deeper study. It does that, using Word Studies and making multiple commentaries easily available, so it is useful, don't get me wrong, but seldom by all the added bells and whistles.

3. In light of this the program and many of the books are way too expensive for the average person, for many pastors of small churches and certainly for me. I do appreciate the bargains and take advantage of them when I can.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 30124
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 3:13 PM

Jim:
1) ridiculously complex ( just look at the mess the right click pop-up has become)

May I ask what version you are running? 8.7 was the initial release of the reorganized Context Menu - still lacking a couple of features I think should be there. I find it reasonably well organized i.e. complex in the sense of "many related parts" ... but complex does not mean difficult. Before 8.7 the Context Menu was a bit of a mess.

Jim:
you've added features that don't yield useful results.

I hope that you have posted examples in the forums so that Faithlife can improve the results. They can't improve unless they are shown where they need to improve. I, too, find a number of features that yield nothing of interest to me ...but generally I can figure out what group of users they would be of interest to.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 665
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 3:43 PM

MJ. Smith:
May I ask what version you are running?
  I'm running 8.14. At times I just want to cry I find the right click menu so utterly distracting from what I want to accomplish. I have to sit there and try various combinations of things to find something that like "copy" that used to be so simple I hardly had to think. Now I have to fumble around with with sliding and opening submenus that change depending on what is selected on one side of the window. There was a day when I suggested adding one simple thing to the right click menu and Bob Prichard(sp?) clamped down on it because he didn't want it to be too complex. Now I'm the one crying over it.

MJ. Smith:
I hope that you have posted examples in the forums so that Faithlife can improve the results.
I have not found that Faithlife has been very responsive to the kinds of changes I've suggested over the years. If they had listened to even a few ideas about notes, it would be a really useful tool. Eventhough I've seriously tried each new version, it's only gotten more frustrating.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 30124
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 15 2020 3:47 PM

Jim, I do understand what you are saying and do believe that there are many who share your experience. The only thing I can say is keep fighting for what you need ... and keep working on understanding how changing interfaces work.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS