Last Read Location Across Devices

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 190
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 17 2020 12:19 PM

I'm sure this has been asked before. I searched but probably just not using the right tools.

I primarily use Logos as a very extensive library and do a lot of reading in it. I use my computer, iPad and now have a new eink device too :)

What I'm trying to figure out though is if there is a feature that will notify me where my last location was on another device. E.g. let's say I'm reading a book on my iPad and then switch to my eink device. I was on page 80 last time on e-ink, but just read through page 100 on my iPad. When I pickup my eink device next time is there anyway to have a "your last read location was page 100 on device ___. Go to that location?"

Posts 2582
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 1:38 PM

John Eggen:

I'm sure this has been asked before. I searched but probably just not using the right tools.

I primarily use Logos as a very extensive library and do a lot of reading in it. I use my computer, iPad and now have a new eink device too :)

What I'm trying to figure out though is if there is a feature that will notify me where my last location was on another device. E.g. let's say I'm reading a book on my iPad and then switch to my eink device. I was on page 80 last time on e-ink, but just read through page 100 on my iPad. When I pickup my eink device next time is there anyway to have a "your last read location was page 100 on device ___. Go to that location?"

The simplest method is referred to as bookmarking. Using Favorites found in your Tools section, at the bottom you will find Bookmarks. There are a few options to creating the bookmark.

1. You can can drag the tab to the bookmark
  2. You can use the key stroke which varies depending on which OS your working with. The keystroke info is found on the bookmark

To open the bookmark again its OS specific on a Mac it's CMDx on Windows its CTRLx, x being the number of the bookmark. You have 9 bookmarks, so be selective. There are other bookmarking techniques, but this is the most straightforward. See Favorites below

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1752
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 2:06 PM

The method I use is that I make sure I close the book I am reading when I am done (and give the device a moment to sync). When I open it again on another device, it opens to the last location. The key is to close the book when you are done reading. 

Posts 1162
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 4:39 AM

Levi Durfey:

The method I use is that I make sure I close the book I am reading when I am done (and give the device a moment to sync). When I open it again on another device, it opens to the last location. The key is to close the book when you are done reading. 

Over the years, I've found this is really the best way to handle it--made easier now that the mobile app has a "sync now" button. It would be nice, though, if the program would ask you "Hey, you were just on page ## in this resource on device XYZ. Go there?"

Posts 190
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 11:04 AM

Yes.. that would be great! I prefer to buy books in Logos because I already have an extensive library. I am often tempted to buy the Kindle version though for just this reason.

Even if it was in the Faithlife e-book reader app only that would be a step forward. I'm happy to use a second app for reading vs studying if it would handle a feature like this.

Posts 576
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 4:14 PM

If I have to make sure a certain place is saved in my iPad, I will use a bookmark, because I find it syncs too well. If I need to search for a reference in a book on my laptop, I’ll find that my place in that book on my iPad will be at the passage I last used the book, not where  I finished reading last time I used my tablet.  (I’ve gotten lost on the Summa Theologica before)..

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM

Ultimate: Verbum | Diamond: Orthodox  | Gold: Eastern Rite, Ordinariate | Silver: Anglican | Bronze: Standard, Lutheran | Starter: Baptist, Messianic, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 10:09 AM

Thanks for the tips. I am trying to read across windows and iOS devices and the lack of this feature just drives me nuts. I can’t understand why logos hasn’t fixed this.  I read lots of books in parallel, and my memory is terrible so if I close them I am unlikely to remember what to open. I did use book tags (“read this”, “irreadit“), but the iOS app won’t let me access them anymore for some reason. argh! 

Posts 28282
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2020 5:44 AM

Ward Walker:
I can’t understand why logos hasn’t fixed this.

Here is one reason: Logos isn’t a simple reader program. It is a digital research library. How should the mobile app know which location to turn the Bible to if the user is currently working on four sermons, three small group lessons, a wedding, and a funeral?

My answer to the problem is to create a new feature called “projects” and to sync that data across all devices. If a user has project 1 open on his desktop and iPad, then location data would automatically sync between the two. Opening a different project would sync to the last used location across all devices for that project. 

If someone never wants their iPad or iPhone to change locations (because, for example, they use it for devotions), then they would simply use the device specific project on that device. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 190
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2020 6:39 AM

JT (alabama24):

Here is one reason: Logos isn’t a simple reader program. It is a digital research library. How should the mobile app know which location to turn the Bible to if the user is currently working on four sermons, three small group lessons, a wedding, and a funeral?

I agree, it's not simply a reader program. It's a very powerful program that lets me build an extensive library and draw all of that into any research I'm doing.

I think it's reasonable to also want to read some of these resources from cover to cover. I've invested a lot (like 5 figures) into my digital library. Many of these are books I actually want to read too - and that's where Logos tends to not perform as well as other apps. Yes, I could buy these books on Amazon. I'd rather buy them in Logos, even for more money, to include them in the note taking and research library I've built up.

I don't even mind using the Faithlife ebook app for reading. I can open all my logos books in the app but even that doesn't seem to sync well across devices.

As for what works... the best thing I've found so far is using layouts. I have one layout specifically called "reading" and have started to use that for the current book I'm reading. The key seems to be to switch layouts before I exist logos, which must close the book. On the other device I go to the home screen, click on my panel for the reading layout and appears to generally open to my last location when I switched layouts on the other device. A little tedious, but not bad and seems to work. Will be continuing to experiment.

If there is something I've missed with the Faithlife ebook app that should be working more seamlessly I have no problem using a dedicated reading app for reading books in my library.

Posts 28282
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 21 2020 6:44 AM

Yes Smile

Posts 190
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 6:27 AM

I'm sure this is way harder than it sounds... but what about an option that would be "Open books to:" [last location on this device] [last location across devices]

JT - that would work to keep resources on your desktop where you left them with the "on this device" option. For reading purposes it would be great to use the "across devices" option.

Also - it doesn't seem that Faithlife ebooks shares the same highlight/notes database as Logos since I can't view my logos notebooks on there.

Posts 28282
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 8:55 AM

I have no opposition to your suggestion, but think “projects” is needed. 

Your Understanding of notes is incorrect. If you are having issues with notes on the mobile app, make sure to create a thread in the mobile forum. If the issue is simply with FLEB titles, the L8 forum would be fine as well. 

Posts 190
John Eggen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2020 9:17 AM

JT (alabama24):

Your Understanding of notes is incorrect. If you are having issues with notes on the mobile app, make sure to create a thread in the mobile forum. If the issue is simply with FLEB titles, the L8 forum would be fine as well. 

Thanks for this! I actually think I had to wait way longer for all my notes to sync. So now I'm experimenting around with using Faithlife ebook app for book reading and using Logos app for research and regular devotional reading.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS