Poll: Online Education and Mobile Ed

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 576
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 7 2020 7:50 AM

Can Faithlife add a polling feature to the forums? 

I'd be interested to know the percentage of Logos forum users who pan the effectiveness of online education but spend $100 for a 2 hour "course" where "lectures" are broken into 2 to 5 minutes.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 2305
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 8:39 AM

Polling could be interesting.

1. I don't have the same expectation for online Education and Mobile Ed.
  2. The value of Mobile Ed to me isn't so much the lectures, although some are good, but the value is largely in the curated readings from my library. Lectures are just icing on the cake. I think Mark Barnes once said he liked to listen to ME lectures whilst shaving.  That is another good use.
  3. I have never payed more than a small fraction of the cost of a ME course.  There are plenty of excellent sales, deals in Base packages, and Community Pricing offerings to keep more courses on my computer than I can finish.  

Posts 576
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 9:05 AM

Now see, if I had had the ability to create a poll in my original post with the options "I'm a sucker" vs "Good point, mobile-ed is a gimmick" I wouldn't have needed to ever revisit this thread because my point would be made and visually displayed to everyone before they had to weigh into the comments. Big Smile

Joking aside, my thought is that the arguments against online education has to do with the fact that it's not an effective way to learn. This would seem to apply, mutatis mutandis, to mobile ed. So in-one-ear-and-out-the-other, for $100+? One may try to refine the very general argument I mention, such that online education is not as effective as traditional, in-person courses. But then this applies, mutatis mutandis, to mobile-ed courses which are far (far) less robust than online courses at a university or community college. 

If the value of mobile-ed is in the curated reading list, then maybe I wouldn't have much of an argument to make if they were presented as curated reading lists. (Though I would still be curious as to who and how many will pay +$100 for such a thing.)

If, however, the response is that one never pays more than, say, $30 for them because they simply wait for an "excellent sale" then the disconnect would call into question the "excellence" of the sale - in other words, if everyone is just waiting for them to go on sale for $30 then the real market value is about $30 and not $100 or $300. 

Anyway, not a major concern. But give us polling. 

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 83
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 7 2020 11:06 AM

J. Remington Bowling:
If, however, the response is that one never pays more than, say, $30 for them because they simply wait for an "excellent sale" then the disconnect would call into question the "excellence" of the sale - in other words, if everyone is just waiting for them to go on sale for $30 then the real market value is about $30 and not $100 or $300. 

For me, they are worth 30$.  I read the transcript, and do the readings.  I compare the value I receive with a Logos edition book, where checking the number of pages is a high priority.  What cost for how many pages is the mental scales check.  Books usually win.

I see these transcripts as One Minute Manager versions of the subject: a tree and its branches, upon which I hang information gleaned from the readings, or books in Logosphere.

I do not want to listen to these people talk.  Read and highlight is what I do.  Then I read the highlights, adjust as needed, and do the readings, wherein I highlight.  I mark the reading list to note the best of them.

I was in a multi-level gig years ago.  They sold tapes to educate one, and I have zero interest in this modality, now.  As well, I have no wish to subject my spouse to a learning area she is disinterested in, as I play the audio/video.

Sell me the transcript and the readings for 20$, thirty at a stretch, as a separate purchase, no audio/video attached.     

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS