Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 5 2010 3:11 AM

In lesson 4 Dr Heiser is referring to the Hebrew Bible “Tanakh The Holy Scripture”. Will this resource be helpful in my study? Is this something I might refer to in the future in my study? Will the "YLT" translation give me about the same thing?

Posts 10448
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 5 2010 5:46 AM

I like it for the translation notes, especially the emundation comments, plus another perspective on hard passages where the hebrew is unclear.

Posts 57
Jim Carlile | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 3:56 PM

In lesson 4 Dr Heiser refers to the Hebrew Bible “Tanakh, The Holy Scripture”. I recently ordered the "Tanakh" but find that the wording of Genesis 1:1 is different in the Tanakh I have. In searching the product listings in LOGOS, I find 2 versions?:  "Tanakh 1917" and "Tanakh, The Holy Scripture" (blue cover). When I click on either, I get the same reference page (for the Tanakh 1917) that I already have??? Is the "Tanakh, The Holy Scripture" (blue cover) not available any more? Does anyone know where I can find out the differences between the two?

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 4:27 PM

James Carlile:

In lesson 4 Dr Heiser refers to the Hebrew Bible “Tanakh, The Holy Scripture”. I recently ordered the "Tanakh" but find that the wording of Genesis 1:1 is different in the Tanakh I have. In searching the product listings in LOGOS, I find 2 versions?:  "Tanakh 1917" and "Tanakh, The Holy Scripture" (blue cover). When I click on either, I get the same reference page (for the Tanakh 1917) that I already have??? Is the "Tanakh, The Holy Scripture" (blue cover) not available any more? Does anyone know where I can find out the differences between the two?

There seems to be an error with the link on the web page when you run the following search: http://www.logos.com/search?q=tanakh

These are the links that will get you to the individual resources:

The Blue cover version is still available: http://www.logos.com/products/details/384. This is the revision published in 1985.

The recently released brown cover version was the 1917 publication of this resource. http://www.logos.com/products/details/5679

Please also note on Pre-Pub there is the Complete Jewish Bible on offer http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6645

It contains David Stern's translation of the Tanakh and of the New Testament. The following screen shot is a comparison of the three for Gen 1:1-3

From my understanding the New Testament portion of the Complete Jewish Bible is the same as http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/JNT

Posts 57
Jim Carlile | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 8:55 AM

Thanks

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:00 AM

Andrew, or anyone else,

What is the benefit, if any, of having more than one Tanakh in English?

I am seeing three? now in Logos, in addition to the Complete Jewish Bible.

Two of them are not in my library but are available for $10 each and sitting in my checkout basket waiting for an informed decision. Confused Educate me.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:07 AM

James Carlile:

I think he is referring to the HEBREW version and not the English translation of the Hebrew—I could be wrong since I don't have Mike's work on this, but I doubt that I am.  Thou must get thee a Hebrew TANAK if thou doest intend to study Hebrew.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:13 AM

Super Tramp:

Andrew, or anyone else,

What is the benefit, if any, of having more than one Tanakh in English?

I am seeing three? now in Logos, in addition to the Complete Jewish Bible.

Two of them are not in my library but are available for $10 each and sitting in my checkout basket waiting for an informed decision. Confused Educate me.

Complete Jewish Bible (Tanakh plut NT) is pretty good, I have it...it is done by a Jewish believer in Jesus (Yeshua), the Tanakh in English is done by the JPS which is a Jewish Publishing Society (but it's not Messianic). I don't have the Tanakh in Logos...but might at $10. 

Both would be good I think.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:19 AM

I want the 1999 update/revision to the JPS Tanakh, not the 1985 first edition that's $10. But it doesn't look like Logos carries it.

I thought of getting Stern's Complete Jewish Bible though I'm not too enamored of some of his NT translation choices: http://www.logos.com/product/6645/complete-jewish-bible

Why anyone would pay $10 for just the Jewish New Testament http://www.logos.com/product/800/the-jewish-new-testament when it's included in the $10 Complete Jewish Bible baffles me. But I guess Logos carries both for a reason.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 276
Gregorio Billikopf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:27 AM

Beside the BHS and several other versions in Hebrew, I like the idea of having several translations into English. The Jewish Publication Society or JPS of 1917 follows closer to the King James Version, while the more recent Tanakh is more scholarly (do not read 'better') with lots of footnotes and substantially different that the JPS. There are other translations into English also, such as the one in the Jerusalem Bible (1998 Koren Publishers) that has one side in Hebrew and the other in English (not to be confused with the Catholic Bible of the same title). I love doing comparative studies so I own a very large collection of Bibles, both hard copy and electronic ones. At the end, it is very useful to be able to make your own decisions about which one is the best translation for a given verse. If you are interested in seeing comparisons then it is well worth the $10 to purchase these versions of the Holy Scriptures.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 1:05 PM

Gregorio Billikopf:
At the end, it is very useful to be able to make your own decisions about which one is the best translation for a given verse. If you are interested in seeing comparisons then it is well worth the $10 to purchase these versions of the Holy Scriptures.

This has been very helpful. For me to make my own decision regarding Hebrew is probably to rely on the dumbest person in the room. I know George would tell me to throw away the crutches of Reverse Interlinears and English translations if I want to understand Hebrew better but at the present moment I am going for getting a feel for how "they" are viewing things.

Please understand, I use Logos for more than Bible study. My questions are not meant to imply I feel a need to fulfill the Law before I can be a good Christian, nor is it my goal for a rediscovery of self. I have the Ariel Ministries Messianic Collection (11 vols.) (~Another great benefit of upgrading to Portfolio Edition) and thought some more English based texts could help with the understanding. I know that is not so scholarly.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:05 AM

Alicia Warren:

smj, there is no scripture that says this exactly. It is a man made phrase. If I had to pick a scripture that best supports this phrase it would be Revelation 21:4:Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying ...

Oh boy, the spammers are getting clever now aren't they. Six posts all in a row by the same person, first time poster, all posts containing the same links to something offsite, and some of the posts even seem to be relevant to Bible software but have nothing to do with the thread in question. Others are just wildly out there, random nonsense.

Abuse reported.

Posts 10448
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2012 6:57 AM

Agree on the spammers; you're a computer expert (far) more so than I, but late last year it looked like someone was testing an human-ish algorithm and forum members were duly responding. At the time I thought it was likely a class project.

This year's version seems self-defeating (easily detected). So I'd assume indeed 'spam'.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS