Exporting Reading Plan to Outlook 2010

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 197
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 6 2010 10:00 AM

I know this has been covered in some earlier posts, but I can not make this work.  I open L4, select export to Outlook, then open up Outlook 2010, and it does not import.  Some have said to reinstall L4 and Office 2010, and that is not an option for something that should work.  I would like to hear from those who have sucessfully gotten this work, or who know that this is an issue that is being looked at.  I know it worked in Outlook 2007 because I got it to work, but that software is no longer installed on my new pc as it was a trial edition.  I may have to purchase Outlook 2007 if I am not able to get 2010 to work.

Thanks.

Rick

Posts 197
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 10:50 AM

Update from the log entry:

Info IsWorkingControl Show is WorkingControl soon (name id 49424379)
Info ElementUtility Couldn't find default focus; focus set to first focusable item.

The above it same message when I repeatedly try to export the reading plan.

Rick

Posts 4745
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 12:01 PM

I was able to make this work by opening my Outlook calendar first, then exporting it.

Posts 197
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 6 2010 1:37 PM

Thanks, Fred.  I don't know if I tried that or not.  I assume you are using a purchased copy, unlike my trial edition?  I wouldn't think that would make any difference, but I will try that tomorrow on my day off.  I do have a request into Logos Support to see if they know of any other issues which would keep this from working.

Rick

Posts 197
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 12:28 PM

Thanks again, but, once again 4 days later....no go!  Other people tell me this will import into Outlook 2010 without any intervention on my part, but not for me.  I even uninstalled both 2007 and 2010, reinstalling just 2010.  Tried opening L4 first then Outlook, closed both and reversed the process, and still no luck.  Guess I will have to try to purchase Outlook 2007 and see if that is any better.  If not then I will give up on using this software like I did in L3.....still waiting on the print function in every area of L4...totally disgusted at this point.

Posts 4745
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 1:13 PM

RIchard K Ross:
If not then I will give up on using this software like I did in L3.....still waiting on the print function in every area of L4...totally disgusted at this point.

I'm sorry this has been your experience with L4. Though some of the missing features have caused me some frustration at times, the benefits of L4 far exceeded any shortcomings I have found. As for missing features like printing, sentence diagramming, etc. Many of those that were missing in the first release have been added in updated releases and I am confident that by the winter the missing features list will be gone and we will all be wondering what L5 will look like.

I see you have another post that Melissa is working with you so I would encourage you to let the Logos team help you figure out what the problem is. My experience with the Logos folks has been nothing but positive; and there are many posts by other users with similar experience. 

I would also encourage you to explore the benefits of L4 beyond the reading plan before you give up on the program. It is a wonderful tool to help us study and understand the Word of God better.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 2:45 PM

Fred Chapman:
Many of those that were missing in the first release have been added in updated releases and I am confident that by the winter the missing features list will be gone and we will all be wondering what L5 will look like.

IMHO, and I say this in all due respect, if we are talking about Logos 5 next summer I think I will throw in the towel.  There are so many little things that should be done to improve the experience of Logos 4, that won't even begin to be thought about until the major features are done (which I said last January would be a year, which is starting to look about right).  There are quite a few areas where configurability does not exist; areas where how we work is proving that the software is not ideally set up, etc.  I just think about little things like the lack of highlighting of the English translation when doing Syntax searches, like in Logos 3, and I go crazy. It's too small to complain about, and it needs a lower priority than the big features we wait for, but boy that makes it a much less useful experience for me.  Shouldn't we get all those things fixed before we jump off to Logos 5???

Note, is is NOT me saying I don't like Logos 4, I do.  But I bet once the deck of big enhancements clears, 75% of the user questions on these forums really point to opportunities for improvement in the user interface, configurability, eliminate features that are "hidden" and not accessible unless something else is set up, etc.  Look at the website that has the requested feature list (I don't check it any more there are so many features listed), there are many many good ideas on there, and we are nowhere near adding all those in yet.  It needs to happen over time. And how about letting the third parties catch up? We don't even have any Logos 4 products shipping yet from them. How about the WIVU database which is worthless right now? That won't be updated until next year. 

Also, once we get ver. 1 of printing throughout, I am sure it will take some revs before it really provides the capabilities everyone needs. And how about PBBs? Think that will be totally mature in January? I doubt it - we will need some revs on it.

Logos 4 is a very good product still in need of some basic functionality. Once that is done a concerted effort to really reduce support and make it easier to use should happen. Please don't throw away and move to Logos 5.

Posts 4745
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 3:44 PM

Dominick

I think maybe I was not clear enough in the way I said we would all be wondering about L5. I said that trying to express the sense that we have focused so much attention, since the release of L4, on the missing features and my sense that by the end of the year they will no longer be missing. I certainly did not mean to discount the wide range of good ideas that have been posted on uservoice and on the forums. Nor did I intend to be unrealistic about the fine tuning that will need to be done as these new features are released.

My real concern with this post was to encourage the OP to stay with L4 and utilize the features and tools we do have, while patiently, or as I sometimes get, impatiently wait for these other issues to be worked through.

Hope that helps to clarify. 

Posts 28281
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 4:37 PM

Dominick Sela:
eliminate features that are "hidden" and not accessible unless something else is set up,

I'm tempted to guess you are referring to the Gnostic Scripture features, but I know you're not. However, I don't know what features you are referring to. Could you give me a couple of examples of what you mean? Thanks.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 7:22 PM

Maybe I should start posting when I see them, but it seems there are times when a right click does not bring up stuff I think it should - for example, the Copy capability is not always available. At times in exegetical studies entries I think should be there, are not in right click, and I don't know why. Other times they show up.  The problem with context menus is when the user doesn't understand the nuances of the context, they have no clue how to get to functions they desire.

Posts 197
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 7:28 PM

I won't throw in the towel just yet, I was just so frustrated that for some reason this feature just won't work for me.  I probably will just purchase Outlook 2007, at least then I can get the free update to 2010, but I will wait to install that version.  2007 did work in the past, and L4 otherwise does everything that I have learned about for my needs.

Sorry I had to vent over this one feature, but as others have said, hopefully soon the other needed features will be operational.  I just need some patienceEmbarrassed

Posts 4745
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 7 2010 8:44 PM

RIchard K Ross:

Sorry I had to vent over this one feature, but as others have said, hopefully soon the other needed features will be operational.  I just need some patienceEmbarrassed

Richard, glad to hear you're going to hang there. Big Smile No need to apologize for the "venting". This forum is filled with venters. Play with it and feel free to post any questions. Someone will have the answer or will try to help you figure it out.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS