Best device to just read a book

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 42
Paul Watson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 11 2020 3:59 AM

If your not trying to study... you just want to sit and read... which device do you reach for? The computer, an android phone or tablet, or an Ipad. I guess at this point a Kindle or E-reader would not be a viable option... both because of text conversion issues and because the screens on the latest ipad and android models are so much better...

Posts 1397
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 4:47 AM

Paul Watson:

you just want to sit and read... which device do you reach for?

I would reach for my iPad.

I also use an android smartphone for casual reading but I prefer the larger screen of the iPad.

Posts 23209
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 5:15 AM

I agree - my iPad has become my reading platform of choice. My Kindle is largely ignored!

Posts 11189
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 5:28 AM

Paul Watson:
I guess at this point a Kindle or E-reader would not be a viable option.

I'd say, for me, 2/3's Kindle. maybe 1/6 PC and 1/6 iPad. But that's from supplementing Logos with specialized monographs. I keep one of my Paperwhites dedicated to religious books ... it's getting heavy.

It's not realistic to expect FL to have everything.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 28559
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 6:54 AM

Paul Watson:
Best device to just read a book If your not trying to study... you just want to sit and read... which device do you reach for?

In my mind there is no dispute. A Kindle Paperwhite. The key to my answer is "just read" and not "trying to study." 

Paul Watson:
I guess at this point a Kindle or E-reader would not be a viable option... both because of text conversion issues and because the screens on the latest ipad and android models are so much better...

I LOVE my MacBook. I LOVE my iPad. I LOVE my Paperwhite. Each has a purpose. Each excels at something the others don't. To respond to your two points: 

1. Conversion is no longer as simple as "send to kindle," but it isn't difficult or laborious. It is easy. If you know how to do so, it should not take even five minutes. Mark has a thread in the forums about conversion. 

2. The screens are NOT better than the Paperwhite. Furthermore, we stare at screens all day long (computer, tv, phone, tablet). The paper white, for its purpose, is MUCH better for your eyes. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2933
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 7:10 AM

My experience agrees almost exactly with what Bama wrote. For 'just reading,' my Paperwhite gets used (a lot). I have a couple older Kindles which get used occasionally.

My iPad will get used if a Kindle isn't within reach, and I don't mind it, but it doesn't beat the Paperwhite.

I never (any more) 'just read' from a computer screen of any type.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 28559
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 7:23 AM

Thanks Doc. I knew I liked you. Smile

I just thought of something else... If anyone doesn't own a paper white, they are now waterproof, have twice the storage, and routinely drop to $100 or less. If you want to get a deal, use camel camel camel to set up a price watch to be notified when they drop. You can often pick them up at Best Buy in person for the same price when Amazon discounts them. 

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 8:19 AM

For reading and not study?  

First choice: my Onyx Boox Nova 2.  E-Ink, runs Android 9.0, good performance, has 'cool' and 'warm' light, easiest on the eyes for long-term reading.  7.8 inch display - nice size but not too big or heavy.  No conversion necessary; uses Logos/Verbum Android app.  

Second choice (it's a close second): my iPad mini 5.  About the same size as my Nova 2; best reading experience I've had on a 'conventional' display; lightweight; great performer.  

Posts 6
Dawn S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 10:38 AM

If just reading a book not in Logos, I use Kindle.  If reading something I only have in my Logos library I have the original Ipad mini that at this point is basically only good for reading and surfing the web.  I do the majority of my Bible reading on my IMac in Logos.  Logos has made my Bibles get dusty....I feel shame in that.   Sad 

Posts 806
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 11:09 AM

I find my iPad (Air 3) makes a great reader.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3

Posts 1554
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 12:50 PM

I use Android Tablet in my sofa, and Android Phone when commuting.

I get the feeling that I am a dissident ...

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2
Mark McDonald | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 1:17 PM

If I'm going to read something for more than a couple of minutes, I reach for my Kindle Oasis. It's much easier on my eyes. There are ways to get text to my Kindle, even from Logos. If I'm studying in Logos, then it's mostly my laptop or iPad. Unfortunately I haven't found an e-ink device that supports Logos, yet.

Posts 28559
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 1:22 PM

Mark McDonald:
Unfortunately I haven't found an e-ink device that supports Logos, yet.

See the other Mark's post: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/193622/1115920.aspx#1115920 

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 11 2020 6:51 PM

I could rattle off at least six e-ink devices that support Logos, mostly from Onyx and Likebook (Boyue)!

Posts 71
Greg Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 4:55 AM

I'm computer illiterate when it comes to devices like kindle and paperwhite. When you say you would use the Paperwhite for reading, do you mean reading your resources from Logos, i.e. book resources in Logos.  Is there a Logos App that works with the Paperwhite? When you talk about "conversion is no longer as simple as "send to Kindle" are you meaning that a Logos resource needs to somehow be converted before it can be loaded onto a Paperwhite and read? Thanks!

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 5:34 AM

Greg Rose:

I'm computer illiterate when it comes to devices like kindle and paperwhite. When you say you would use the Paperwhite for reading, do you mean reading your resources from Logos, i.e. book resources in Logos.  Is there a Logos App that works with the Paperwhite? When you talk about "conversion is no longer as simple as "send to Kindle" are you meaning that a Logos resource needs to somehow be converted before it can be loaded onto a Paperwhite and read? Thanks!

A device like the Paperwhite is not designed for apps of any kind.  What you'd need to do is to export any resources from Logos that you want to read on a Paperwhite (or Oasis, or whatever), convert those resources into a Kindle format, and then load them onto the Paperwhite.  Those who have experience with resource conversion can tell you how it's done!  

However, if you had an Android-based E-Ink device, like the Onyx Boox Nova 2, you could install the Logos app and read resources with no conversion necessary.  Just sayin' !  

Posts 11189
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 5:57 AM

Mark Nolette:
However, if you had an Android-based E-Ink device, like the Onyx Boox Nova 2, you could install the Logos app and read resources with no conversion necessary.  Just sayin' !  

Well, Mark, go ahead and just hate me (smiling). But I wouldn't touch Android with a 10 ft pole (social distancing). Recently, we got a newer DAC, and purposely stopped the choice for any models using android, viewing west-of-Hong-Kong as a safer bet. Granted, arguable.

Posts 3754
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 7:01 AM

Denise:
DAC

?

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 11189
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 7:20 AM

PetahChristian:

?

DAC = digital analog converter or variation; picky for hi-res music

Posts 427
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 12 2020 9:06 AM

Denise:

Well, Mark, go ahead and just hate me (smiling). But I wouldn't touch Android with a 10 ft pole (social distancing). Recently, we got a newer DAC, and purposely stopped the choice for any models using android, viewing west-of-Hong-Kong as a safer bet. Granted, arguable.

Absolutely no hate whatsoever!  As part of my gadget addiction - oops, I mean, collection - I have an iPad mini, a Surface Go 2, and a MacBook Air. Fairly inclusive, n'est-ce pas?  

Geeked

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS