How to setup preferred commentaries for each book of the Bible in Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 57
Benny | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 12 2020 11:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Since there are different commentaries that I want to use when i study different books in the Bible, is there a way to do that so when i open a book, says Romans, all the preferred commentaries for this particular book that i use will be there?    The only way i find that will work is to save it as a new layout, and i click the layout and the books are there together with the Bible.  Just want to see if there is a better way to do it as I don't want to have 66 layouts created.

I did some search and cannot find, but i am sure this must have been raised many times.  Sorry for the same question if that is the case.

Thanks a lot!

Benny

Posts 24042
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 12 2020 11:38 PM

You could group all your preferred commentaries together - either tag them or put them into a collection

Then set up a layout containing your Bible and a Commentaries Guide and link them together

Then when you open the layout and choose a passage, the Guide will be updated to show the linked commentaries from your preferred set

Moving to a different book, or a different place in the book, will update the Guide.

Does this work for you?

Posts 57
Benny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2020 12:18 AM

Thanks a lot Graham!  I will try and see.  My current Bible Study layout have the Bible on the top, and then all commentaries open and sync with the Bible location so when i can compare all commentaries for each verse in the book quickly.   I will see if this 'Guide' version will work for my study work flow.   Thanks very much!

Posts 24042
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2020 6:17 AM

Benny Chong:
My current Bible Study layout have the Bible on the top, and then all commentaries open and sync with the Bible location so when i can compare all commentaries for each verse in the book quickly. 

Depending on how many commentaries you have, that could also work.

You could create a layout with a Bible and a number of commentaties (or commentary sets) and put them all in a linkset - https://wiki.logos.com/Linking_Resources 

Then when you open a layout and specify the verse in your Bible, all the commentaries will link to that place.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS