Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 273
xnman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 2 2020 6:21 AM

I am confused.  So I look on my WS to Logos Transition page and I see several books that I use... saying "Available   Logos Research"  But when I go to use them in Logos I see a different book with the same name and it doesn't work like the WS book... or at least I can't seem to make it work. 

For example... The Preacher's Outline and Sermon Bible - Outline,  The Preacher's Outline and Sermon Bible - Commentary are 2 that I came across. 

Looks to me as if someone in Logos looked at the book in WS and saw a title in Logos and assumed the books were the same.  But bottom line... the boos in Logos do not seem to be the books in WS. 

Does "Available   Logos Research" mean something other than me thinking the book is available in Logos?

One reason for me posting these things is that I am thinking that once a book shows "Available" in WS transition page, then Logos is done with that book... is that right?

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 8975
LogosEmployee

xnman:
Looks to me as if someone in Logos looked at the book in WS and saw a title in Logos and assumed the books were the same. But bottom line... the boos in Logos do not seem to be the books in WS. 

They look the same to me, apart from the fact that Logos combines the Outline and Commentary into one resource, and Wordsearch splits them up. (There was a complaint recently that the Logos format wasn't as useful as the WS format, but I can't find the thread right now.)

Can you provide some screenshots showing where/how they're not the same?

xnman:
Does "Available   Logos Research" mean something other than me thinking the book is available in Logos?

That's what it means.

xnman:
One reason for me posting these things is that I am thinking that once a book shows "Available" in WS transition page, then Logos is done with that book... is that right?

If it's "Available" as a "Logos Research" edition, yes. (Unless a customer tells us it's not the right book, in which case we'll fix it.) If it's "Available" as an "Ebook", it may still be scheduled for an update to a "Logos Research" edition.

Posts 8975
LogosEmployee

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
(There was a complaint recently that the Logos format wasn't as useful as the WS format, but I can't find the thread right now.)

Found it: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/194123.aspx

Note that since this was already a resource we had in Logos, the decision of whether to update it (by splitting each resource into two) will be a decision influenced by a number of factors, not just how it was delivered in Wordsearch.

Posts 273
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2020 3:20 PM

Thanks again.  Not trying to be a pain... I know you guys will fix things. 

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 8975
LogosEmployee

xnman:
Looks to me as if someone in Logos looked at the book in WS and saw a title in Logos and assumed the books were the same.  But bottom line... the boos in Logos do not seem to be the books in WS. 

Can you provide more details on how they don't seem to be the same?

Posts 44
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2020 3:20 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
Can you provide more details on how they don't seem to be the same?

Bradley:

Clearly, Logos decided to publish the POSB volumes in a manner that closely matched the print edition, whereas the other electronic publishers elected to move the Outline content out into distinct volumes from the Commentary - which gave them better functionality at the price of fidelity to the original. However, I think there are a couple other significant shortcomings in the Logos edition.

The first is that the POSB Master Outline & Subject Index is not indexed. That seems like it should have an English Headword index, and be navigable by it. 

In the individual volumes, levels 3 and below of the outline are not tagged as Outline elements (i.e. the text in the gray boxes beside the KJV text), so the volume is neither navigable by/to the detailed outline elements, nor are those levels extracted as Outline content into either the Guides Outline module or the Bible Outline Browser Interactive module. 

If those elements were properly tagged, it would go a long way toward mitigating the functional "deficit" in the Logos Research edition. If the Outline module for the Guides could be modified to allow content filtering on a specific resource or even on a collection, that would seem to completely solve the problem, using Logos technology, while retaining fidelity to the print edition that Wordsearch and others had abandoned (e.g. providing the KJV text with the detailed levels of the outline side-by-side with it).

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS