BUG: Systematic Theology / Factbook

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4468
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 8 2020 12:27 PM

I was watching Proctor's seminar on Factbook and one of the systematic theology themes we looked at was ADOPTION.  Under recommended reading, there is a link to Millard Erickson's Theology but it links to an older one (2nd edition) that doesn't exist. Is this on purpose? His 3rd edition does exist though.

Posts 35
Aaron Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 12:56 PM

Interesting. Systematic Theologies and Recommended Reading do not show up in my Factbook results.

Posts 31894
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 1:48 PM

Mattillo:
links to an older one (2nd edition) that doesn't exist. Is this on purpose?

Because it links to the edition that is referenced which is necessary for the page numbers to match and for the contents to be what the author intended when they placed it on the recommended list? Logos may show us that there is a newer edition but they should not link to it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4468
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 1:54 PM

MJ. Smith:

Mattillo:
links to an older one (2nd edition) that doesn't exist. Is this on purpose?

Because it links to the edition that is referenced which is necessary for the page numbers to match and for the contents to be what the author intended when they placed it on the recommended list? Logos may show us that there is a newer edition but they should not link to it.

That is a good point and I didn't elaborate on that. I know the Systematic Theology dataset is somewhat new so it seems odd to me that it would link to a book no longer sold. I guess I just don't remember the last time I saw his 2nd edition in Logos.  The 3rd edition has been in 2013

Posts 31894
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 1:58 PM

Mattillo:
somewhat new so it seems odd to me that it would link to a book no longer sold.

Recommended reading was not/is not restricted to FL books.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 186
TWBeining | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 2:12 PM

Aaron Sauer:
Interesting. Systematic Theologies and Recommended Reading do not show up in my Factbook results.

I am getting the same results as you. I wonder why we are not seeing the recommendations and theology listings? Could it be possible that Verbum Factbook is not completely the same as Logos Factbook?

Tim

Posts 31894
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 2:19 PM

TWBeining:
I wonder why we are not seeing the recommendations and theology listings?
TWBeining:
Could it be possible that Verbum Factbook is not completely the same as Logos Factbook?

TWBeining:

Look under add to see if you need to add them. If that doesn't explain it, it is probably a matter of the level of features.

Posts 35
Aaron Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 2:27 PM

Aaron Sauer:

Ah. I see it in the Theology Guide...not Factbook.

Posts 186
TWBeining | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 2:30 PM

MJ, I was talking about Factbook not the Theology Guide. The OP on this was in Factbook. Please look closely on his screenshot.

Tim

MJ. Smith:

TWBeining:
TWBeining:
Could it be possible that Verbum Factbook is not completely the same as Logos Factbook?

TWBeining:

Look under add to see if you need to add them. If that doesn't explain it, it is probably a matter of the level of features.

Posts 1508
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 2:37 PM

I don't have those two sections either... are you also running Logos 9 on Windows?

Posts 186
TWBeining | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 2:39 PM

PL:

I don't have those two sections either... are you also running Logos 9 on Windows?

Yes I am. Windows 10 latest update. Verbum 9.

Posts 31894
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 2:52 PM

It's worth starting a new thread to ask the FL folks

Posts 4468
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 8:24 AM

MJ. Smith:

Mattillo:

No I get all that. It is just that I would think since this is a newer dataset they would have linked to a more current resource in their recommended reading.  At the least, it would be nice if they would sell the older edition so we can read the recommended reading.  It doesn't do me any good to recommend a resource I can't read.

Also, I can't imagine his second edition being all that different from the 3rd but it is a 3rd edition for a reason I guess

Posts 4468
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 8:31 AM

Mattillo:

MJ. Smith:

Mattillo:

No I get all that. It is just that I would think since this is a newer dataset they would have linked to a more current resource in their recommended reading.  At the least, it would be nice if they would sell the older edition so we can read the recommended reading.  It doesn't do me any good to recommend a resource I can't read.

Also, I can't imagine his second edition being all that different from the 3rd but it is a 3rd edition for a reason I guess

And Yes I know there are other readings in there that I cannot read so I should modify that statement a bit. I meant a resource that is in Logos that has a reading that I cannot access.  Oh well.  Thanks for the help on this

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS