resource series names

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1067
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 8 2020 5:57 PM

I spent months giving to all my commentaries names that include series and author.

I also added author names to most of my monographs.

I was still happy to see Logos doing the same with its commentaries.

I still feel the need to make changes, and the only way I see to do this is change the series name.

For example, for the Lange commentary set, I want to know the author of the volume and not just Lange the series' editor name.

So I had to change the corresponding series name to e.g. Lange's Commentary Plumptre.  So in the library, instead of Lange's commentary all together, there will be about 40 different Lange's commentary.

My EBC volumes look like this: 

EBC rev: Luke Liefeld*** John Robert Mounce*** Acts Longenecker***

EBC  Mt rev Mk rev Lk rev

My question is: am I doing something I may regret later?  Or is there another way?

Thank you

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 6:17 PM

Larry Craig:
My question is: am I doing something I may regret later?

I'm in an obnoxious mood so my first thought was to wonder you age so I could subtract it from your expected life expectancy to determine how many years you were asking me to predict.

However, the serious answer is that I can't give you an answer because I don't know what you mean by:

Larry Craig:
So in the library, instead of Lange's commentary all together, there will be about 40 different Lange's commentary.
I don't know any way you can make this happen so I assume I am misunderstanding.

However, the overall approach should work and I see no immediate reasons for concern that would make me recommend changes.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1067
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 6:28 PM

Hi MJ

In the new Logos commentary setup, commentary sets like Lange's do not give the name of the person who wrote the commentary on Ezekiel, for example, but simply Lange's name.  The only thing I can change now is the series name, so I include the particular author's name as part of the series title name.  So the library will no longer show all Lange's commentary under one heading, but as many headings as there are authors.

Series 

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 6:34 PM

Okay, I understand what you mean. What you are doing breaks the moving between the various volumes of a multi-volume work ... to move from Genesis to Isaiah in the same commentary series, the series name must be identical.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1067
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2020 6:43 PM

I suppose this could pose a problem in certain instances.  As things are now, when I click on the Pulpit Commentary or Lange's or the EBC, I have no idea who the author is.  I was surprised when I looked at times who the various authors were.  And, yes, now, I want to know their names while the resources are still unopened in the passage guide.

thanks again

Posts 26497
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 2:00 PM

Larry Craig:
I suppose this could pose a problem in certain instances.

It compromises the use of a Series when you wish to navigate between bible books of Lange's or EBC commentary series. You will also have to Prioritize each volume in the series.  But your author naming is not accurate, as Moll and Schmoller are only one of four (4) authors of those Lange volumes! The EBC series presents a challenge as each book in a volume usually cites a different author(s).

So you should rely on the Author names (up to two) in Logos 9.1 Passage Guide and undo your series names. The author naming for Lange's is not helpful, so you could ask FL for something better than "Lange, John Peter et al".  You can also sort by Author, so you can see if Schmoller, Moll etc. are involved.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 182
Richard J. Ward | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 2:47 PM

I did a similar thing in my library. However, I changed the title of the volume to include each author's name instead of changing the series name. Is this what you had in mind?

Posts 1067
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 2:50 PM

Thanks, Dave

You want me to ask FL for something better?  Seriously?  

I sorted by author, and their names showed up, but, of course, I had no idea then that they were part of Lange's set.  

I don't often maneuver between volumes of the same series.  And if I have to individually prioritize volumes, to me that's less of a hassle than dealing with a passage guide where I don't know the authors right up front.  I spent months changing things so I could.  

Thanks again.

Posts 1067
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2020 2:52 PM

That's what I did with Logos 8.  But Logos 9 overrode it.  I can't change the titles now, but I can change the series name, which I have.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS